Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
wanna be sniper trend >

wanna be sniper trend

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

wanna be sniper trend

Old 01-27-2010, 08:16 AM
Spike

Default wanna be sniper trend

I don't understand why many hunters think they need a sniper rifle. I think a well built rifle is important......but bull barrels, bipods, and 24 power scopes are overkill. They are excess weight in my opinion. Simple is better. Now im not knocking these types of rifles by any means they are fun to target shoot with but are not ideal in most hunting situations. There are always exceptions. These guns may be great for antelope hunting or something similar but are not needed about 97% of the time. Some people may be good enough to shoot 700 yds but if your not be realistic and stick to your trust deer rifle. I know i cant shoot that far but anything inside 250 is hitting the ground. I went through this phase too but thank god i didnt have any money to buy for myself cause i see now it would have been a mistake. These are just my thoughts not trying to offend anyone
Old 01-27-2010, 08:21 AM
bigcountry

Most people I know, like myself who have target type rifles (you referr to as sniper rifles) don't use them much for a deer rifle shooting 60 yards. Most of us have many tools for the job. I can't say I know anyone that takes out a 15lb 1" OD barreled rifle to sit in a deer stand.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:49 AM
Spike

I prefer a heavier rifle, or pistol. I just shoot them better, especially when it's windy.......
Old 01-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Spike

no i understand they are used for long range target shooting thats fun. This is geared more toward people with more money than experience. they run out and buy a 300 win mag and a rifle with a 26" barrel. know some people like this pet peeve i guess
Old 01-27-2010, 12:02 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by bradc
no i understand they are used for long range target shooting thats fun. This is geared more toward people with more money than experience. they run out and buy a 300 win mag and a rifle with a 26" barrel. know some people like this pet peeve i guess

A gun is a gun I guess. They all kill.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bradc
I don't understand why many hunters think they need a sniper rifle. I think a well built rifle is important......but bull barrels, bipods, and 24 power scopes are overkill. They are excess weight in my opinion. Simple is better. Now im not knocking these types of rifles by any means they are fun to target shoot with but are not ideal in most hunting situations. There are always exceptions. These guns may be great for antelope hunting or something similar but are not needed about 97% of the time. Some people may be good enough to shoot 700 yds but if your not be realistic and stick to your trust deer rifle. I know i cant shoot that far but anything inside 250 is hitting the ground. I went through this phase too but thank god i didnt have any money to buy for myself cause i see now it would have been a mistake. These are just my thoughts not trying to offend anyone
First I don't hunt with what you call a "sniper" rifle.
I also don't hunt where you do, apparently you don't hunt in the same situations, you only assume you know everyones style and area. You do not.
Come to the open prairie, you will learn alittle about what a rifle can do.
If I want to carry a 12 lb. rifle what business of it is yours and why do you care.
You don't get to decide what I need, its a good thing too.
Just cause you can't, don't assume others haven't passed you by in the "competency with a gun" class.
We shoot well beyond 500 yds. all the time.
We don't all live and hunt in Florida.
Some of us own lots of guns and use what we want.
I hunt 12,000 acres of private farm land, not a tree on it. You have that in FL ?

Are you sure you weren't sent here by the current administration ?

Last edited by skb2706; 01-27-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Who care's how heavy someone else's gun is? Or what it looks like? There's no difference between a .308 short barreled "brush gun" and a .308 with a 26" barrel and an A5 stock...they both shoot the same bullet, just one does it more accurately at a longer distance!

My all around hunting rifle is 10.5lbs and its not a "sniper rifle", maybe I should sell it and get a synthetic Savage...??
Old 01-27-2010, 01:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

First off, have you ever seen a 'sniper' rifle? Most are nothing more than a highly accurized Remington 700 and a Leupold scope. (not counting the newer 50 bMGs)
I have friends that have rifles weighing over 30 lbs in monsterous chamberings that they use upstate for deer hunting from mountain to mountain. They have taken deer out to 1300 yds. But this is the exception rather than the rule. And hey, its their thing. But it isn't mine. I like to be close up and personal when I can. Yeah, I shot deer that were way out there but again I bet <3% were more than 75 yds away.
My rifle of choice? Whatever I feel like that day. A bolt action, a lever action, a single shot, a muzzleloader? Who knows? No you don't need a big barreled heavy rifle, but wo cares, as long as your hunting.

Oh yeah, don't use the term 'sniper rifle' or 'assault rifle'. Those are terms used by the idiot liberals and it tends to p**s a lot of us gun owners off.

Last edited by bronko22000; 01-27-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

The heavy target rifles do have their place in the hunting world. Where long shots are normal these rifles serve their purpose well.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Spike

i know its not a sniper rifle and im not anti gun by any means. i have a pretty big selection myself. all im saying is alot of people cant even shoot to the extent the firearm is made for. you guys may be able to but alot of ppl are just bad shot and they think a rifle that can shoot clover leafs at 200 yds(in the hands of a good shooter of course) will fix their problems. and skb i hunt a sod farm every year. the shots can be pretty far. its not like im hunting in the everglades. notice some of you guys r getting a little heated. no need for name calling im on your side i own several ars and close to a dozen firearms so dont think im some democrat trying to start a fight with yall. i think a rem 700 in some kind of 30 caliber in the hands of a good shot can shoot 500 plus yds with little modification and cleanly take any animal in north america.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.