Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
wanna be sniper trend >

wanna be sniper trend

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

wanna be sniper trend

Old 01-28-2010, 04:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bradc
yep just dont think you need it. shooting deer at 700 yds isnt hunting its just target practice. and skb quit calling me a damn obama fan its starting to piss me off
Have you shot with a bipod before? I personally try to use it whenever possible when hunting, doesn't matter 50yrds or 500yrds, I like to be as stable as possible before touching off the trigger on a live animal...
Old 01-28-2010, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

I don't understand why many hunters think they need a sniper rifle.
If you hunt places like Montana, where the game can make you a mile away and they only let you get so close to them before they take off, a long range rifle can be a real benefit. They don't use bull barrels and adjustible stocks because they look cool. Its nothing more than a stable platform required to deleiver a bullet at ranges a standard rifle design can't.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
well I'm right handed, but a botched surgery on my right eye as a child left me left eye dominant, I've shot left handed since 1968.
RR

I am right handed and left eye dominant. I shoot right handed bolt actions left handed. I have a hard time with left handed bolt actions.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:13 AM
Banned

yep just dont think you need it. shooting deer at 700 yds isnt hunting its just target practice. and skb quit calling me a damn obama fan its starting to piss me off
700 yard target practice? Why don't you give it a try, slappy? I explained a little about the "sniper" stuff when I explained how the term is being perceived by some of the young bucks. However, the rifles that are used by "real" snipers and long range hunters look the similar, essentially because the configuration needed for the long shot. Only difference is one is issued, the other purchased. If you don't like the way a long range hunting rig looks like, then don't get one.

Don't get your panties in a wad....
Old 01-29-2010, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not calling you anything, not my style. The intent is to show not everyone thinks the same as you about what gun to use for what purpose. When we impose our self generated restrictions on each other it gives the antis more fuel for their existing fires. One of many reasons I am a gun nut...because I can be.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by skb2706
Not calling you anything, not my style. The intent is to show not everyone thinks the same as you about what gun to use for what purpose. When we impose our self generated restrictions on each other it gives the antis more fuel for their existing fires. One of many reasons I am a gun nut...because I can be.

While each to his own is one thing, and everyone has opinions. Suggesting that ALL gun owners have to agree to ALL gun issues is absolute bullcrap.

I believe we have a right to like and dislike what we want. Save the soapbox....
Old 01-29-2010, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

bradc,
I think the most troubling part of this entire thread is that you are attempting to push your beliefs of what is "practical" on to us. The truth is you know about as much about any of our hunting situations as we know about yours. The term "sniper rifle" is over used and I really don't think you're using it in the context that it is meant. As I understand it, a sniper rifle is a rifle system that is used to give optimum ability in accuracy to its shooter to complete its object. The objective is usually a single shot producing a single kill. As someone who has hunted all over North America for big game, I would use a weapon of this type in a heart beat if it were available. In fact, when I purchase a rifle for mid-long range deer hunting (150 yds and out), I try for a bullbarreled rifle combo with a thumbstock and a bipod because these items reduce the effects of human error on my shot. I'm also usually in a situation where my shortest shot will be 100 yds and my longest around 500yds. So shooting an off-hand shot is not what I'm doing. The best example I have of a "sniper" rifle, is my savage 17hmr. Thumbhole stock, bullbarrel, accu-trigger, and bi-pod (which is sometimes left on or taken off depending on what I'm hunting). Can it make the 20-50 yd shots? yes. Can it make the 100-150 yd shots on ground hogs? yes. I've killed out to 220yds without a problem. I also introduced a young hunter to shooting on it and she killed a squirrel at 75yds with it. My point is that these items you are so casually ridiculing are out there to even the playing feild a bit and help those who are not absolutely gifted with a rifle and never miss such as yourself, be just a hair better. But I've rambled on here when my point is before your ridicule something you should first consider that maybe you don't know everything.
That is all
INDY
Old 01-29-2010, 03:11 PM
Spike

[QUOTE=IndyHunter83;3565988]bradc,
I think the most troubling part of this entire thread is that you are attempting to push your beliefs of what is "practical" on to us.

Not pushing anything on anybody. I was hoping more for a friendly debate but i guess that was out of the question. I even said in my original post i wasn't trying to offend anyone. So for all you who were professional i thank you, and for all of you who like to act tough behind the safety of your computer screen, you need to find another way to deal with your insecurity
Old 01-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jeepkid
Have you shot with a bipod before? I personally try to use it whenever possible when hunting, doesn't matter 50yrds or 500yrds, I like to be as stable as possible before touching off the trigger on a live animal...
So Brad, have you ever used a bipod in the field? I even carry a rear bag in my pack...
Old 01-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

i don't care what folks hunt with. Hunters can use a rail gun if they want. However, there are not a lot of ranges where a person can fire a rifle to a distance of 500 yards or more. I often fire on a local range that is limited to 100 meters and has four shooting benches. Last week a man brought his braked .338 Lapua magnum to the range. He got his feelings hurt when other shooters and the range master would not let him shoot his rifle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.