Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
wanna be sniper trend >

wanna be sniper trend

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

wanna be sniper trend

Old 01-27-2010, 07:56 PM
Banned

Bradc-
Listen to RR, he knows his stuff when it comes to long range shooting, no doubt.

But, I think I know where you are coming from. I was at Bass Pro over Christmas and heard 2 young guys talking "sniper" while looking at rifles. Later I heard a kid telling his father he wanted a "sniper" when they were looking at BB guns a Wal-Mart. Fast forward to the first squirrel hunting trip I took my 12 year old nephew on. What was he asking me about? Snipers! I asked where the heck did he learn about that?? You guessed it, PlayStation. Evidently quite a few games (hunting types and war) have this type of stuff in it. Now I'm not against video games, but if you look at the content and see who is obsessed with some of the long range stuff, I think there is a connection. So after chewing my nephews ass a la "The Old Man and the Boy" I hoped to instill in him what a sniper is and that they have a specific job that has nothing to do with hunting as we know it.

It concerns me that there are young mislead hunters that could possibly make wrong or unethical decisions trying to emulate what they've "learned" about this stuff. Sorry to say, the kids today are not raised like some of us were. They know everything and will try anything. Some of these questionable actions may reflect on all hunters.

Just my .02
Old 01-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Spike

if you guys have these guns and are good shooters great! but some dumba*** who has never owned a guns before and buys a 2000$ rifle cause he saw a sniper show a tv is more of what im talking about
Old 01-27-2010, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bradc
http://www.vandykerifles.com/images/custom-rifle2.jpg

would you hunt with something like this? seen some ppl with similar rigs.im sure they wouldnt be this expensive. not practical
All that is is a 700 action, with an ACI ( I believe ) stock on it, I'm guessing its a .338 Lapua...

Depends on where you hunt what practical means. Western Extreme took a deer the other day with a .50 BMG, overkill yes! Would I do it if I had the chance, YES!

I'll hunt with anything that shoots accurate enough for the job at hand.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bradc
if you guys have these guns and are good shooters great! but some dumba*** who has never owned a guns before and buys a 2000$ rifle cause he saw a sniper show a tv is more of what im talking about
Okay, I see where your coming from now, and I do agree with you. It won't do any good to go out and buy an expensive rifle capable of MOA accuracy at 1200 yrds for your first hunting rifle. But then again, ya gotta start somewhere...
Old 01-28-2010, 03:21 AM
Spike

Default long range

Hello new to the forums. Like what i read Like the pics. I see. To hit at lond range requires a good set of eyes an nerves an a lot of pratices. With that skill you can place a good shoot with any good quialty rifle. Just my thought usedto take care of small targets at long ranges for UNCLE SAM
Old 01-28-2010, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I still can't figure out why the OP cares what I hunt with and how far I shoot. If I want to hunt with a 25 lb. rifle with a 40" barrel that measures 1.5" diameter and launches a 250 gr. bullet at 4000 fps. And my shots are in excess of 1000 yds. , as long as its legal its really only my business.
When we start trying to decide what others should be doing within the scope of the law we start sounding alot more like what the current administration sounds like.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

my "evil sniper rifle" scope is a little small...its only 6-18x...but its a Leupold!

yes thats a 26" bull barrel...

man thats dumb...i got a bipod on that rifle and am shooting off a round bale! what a moron!!

what you dont see is my truck is maybe 100yds away...i dont carry that rifle very far...im no expert...but ive made 1 shot kills out t0 350yds with that rifle...its all factory...even the trigger still...and shooting factory ammo...i dont have the fields to reach much farther than that withouth doubling or tripling that distance...im not ready for the big leauges yet...but that rifle is my base for getting there...

i didnt buy that rifle and set it up how i did to carry it....its made to sit and reach out and touch somethin...

when im done with it, its going to be a bit bigger and heavier..and its a pure hunting rifle....

i dont claim to be a sniper or have a sniper rifle...but i enjoy laying behind the rifle and squeezing the trigger on a target that most people would never see if i didnt point it out to them
Old 01-28-2010, 03:22 PM
Spike

yep just dont think you need it. shooting deer at 700 yds isnt hunting its just target practice. and skb quit calling me a damn obama fan its starting to piss me off
Old 01-28-2010, 04:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey RR - I see ur a fellow southpaw. Wonder how many more of us are in here.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Hey RR - I see ur a fellow southpaw. Wonder how many more of us are in here.
I am!! Just don't shoot lefty...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.