Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
wanna be sniper trend >

wanna be sniper trend

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

wanna be sniper trend

Old 01-27-2010, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

I can see both sides of the story here...
Old 01-27-2010, 04:15 PM
Spike

"I would like to conclude by pointing out that long range shots are less common than might be inferred from reading the sporting magazines. Most big game animals in North America are killed at under 200 yards; in fact, most are killed at less than 100 yards."(Chuck Hawks, http://www.chuckhawks.com/hunting_rifles.htm)

last paragraph of the page
Old 01-27-2010, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

i got a bull bore 22-250..it dont weigh alot..i got a 223 with a 6-12X50 on it, but dont consider it a sniper rifle. gotta 300sm too with a very nice burris on it, not a sniper rifle..all these rifles have a place, and i use them as i see fit......just a choice i have, just like your choice, not to have any.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Spike

1st off I don't currently own a rifle with a bull barrel on it. But if I was going to put something together for a grandchild or some extremely recoil sensitive I would do to add the weight and help to keep the recoil down especially if I was hunting from say a box blind. It all depends on the app and what you want to do your thing with,
Old 01-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am probably not the norm and I don't own as many centerfires as some here, however all but one have a "heavy" barrel. I wouldn't want to hunt in the mountains with them but I do that with my bow anyway.

Once I put a sling on them an throw them across my back weight is not an issue for me around here. I love trying to call coyotes so I don't shoot that far normally....but I still like to work at long range shooting and the heavier gun helps to soak up some of the recoil.

The scope I use the most is a 6-24 power. These of course are things that work for me, or at least the rifles I prefer, while I am always interested in what other people use for equipment, it doesn't matter to me what they use.

If a guy doesn't practice it really doesn't matter whether he uses a pencil barrel or a bull barrel, a person will never reach the full potential of the weapon or their abilities without some serious "trigger time".
Old 01-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Typical Buck

You why I can hunt with a 300 win mag 26" barrell.......because I can!
Old 01-27-2010, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dang last week I couldn't even spell sniper now I find I are one . LOL
Old 01-27-2010, 04:48 PM
Spike

ok part of this is my fault for not being clear enough. first off when i say "sniper rifle" im being sarcastic. let me clear things up. i know the difference between a target rifle and a sniper rifle. let me clear things up. what i am thinking about when i say "sniper rifle" is a rem 700 26" barrel mcmillian stock bipods extremely high powered scope etc etc. hb420 i own a 22-250 break action w/ bull barrel. I am not necessarily knocking these additions/modifications individually but merely saying all these different things are not necessary most of the time on the same rifle. And yes rhan i agree with u about a heavier guns takes away recoil, and that is a great idea for a young hunter, but the gun itself should be heavy enough if thats what you want. adding a bigger scope, bipods, etc is not the way to go to reduce recoil. i know thats not what u meant just saying the extra bulk isnt necessary and is just plain detrimental to your chances of killing a deer, bear, hog or whatever
Old 01-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Spike

If a guy doesn't practice it really doesn't matter whether he uses a pencil barrel or a bull barrel, a person will never reach the full potential of the weapon or their abilities without some serious "trigger time".[/QUOTE]

totally agree with you there.....finally some common ground
Old 01-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bradc
"I would like to conclude by pointing out that long range shots are less common than might be inferred from reading the sporting magazines. Most big game animals in North America are killed at under 200 yards; in fact, most are killed at less than 100 yards."(Chuck Hawks, http://www.chuckhawks.com/hunting_rifles.htm)

last paragraph of the page
Ya gotta do better then Chuckhawks around here...

[/quote]

ok part of this is my fault for not being clear enough. first off when i say "sniper rifle" im being sarcastic. let me clear things up. i know the difference between a target rifle and a sniper rifle. let me clear things up. what i am thinking about when i say "sniper rifle" is a rem 700 26" barrel mcmillian stock bipods extremely high powered scope etc etc. hb420 i own a 22-250 break action w/ bull barrel. I am not necessarily knocking these additions/modifications individually but merely saying all these different things are not necessary most of the time on the same rifle. And yes rhan i agree with u about a heavier guns takes away recoil, and that is a great idea for a young hunter, but the gun itself should be heavy enough if thats what you want. adding a bigger scope, bipods, etc is not the way to go to reduce recoil. i know thats not what u meant just saying the extra bulk isnt necessary and is just plain detrimental to your chances of killing a deer, bear, hog or whatever

[/quote]

So now McMillans and bipods only belong on "sniper rifles"? Wow, ya learn something new everyday...

I have rifles with McMillans, Manners, HS Precision and Bell and Carlson stocks...they all pretty much run bipods, but only one even has a "bull" barrel...

So what about shooting sticks? Do they not belong in the woods either? Maybe we should all just use Model 94 30-30's?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.