Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Weatherby too heavy? >

Weatherby too heavy?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Weatherby too heavy?

Old 01-26-2010, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

You could buy a sling to carry it when you're doing the bulk of your walking. The sling has the added advantage that, when utilized properly, it will significantly improve your marksmanship. Try googling "hasty sling". In addition to utilizing a hasty sling, I suggest that you always try to find a solid object to steady the rifle on, be it an object in the environment, shooting sticks, bipod, etc... I've always found it easier to hold a heavier rifle steady, at least for a time, than a lighter one simply because the heavier rifle has more inertia.

Mike
Old 01-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

Both calibers are good for elk. The Weatherby was designed for long range big game and has the strongest action made, nice rifle. If you're hunting the West, chances are you will have a "long" shot and the Weatherby would be my choice. Invest in a pair of Stoney Point Steady Stix, or something comparible, and practice with them. That should solve the other portion of your problem.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

Both calibers are good for elk. The Weatherby was designed for long range big game and has the strongest action made, nice rifle. If you're hunting the West, chances are you will have a "long" shot and the Weatherby would be my choice. Invest in a pair of Stoney Point Steady Stix, or something comparable, and practice with them. That should solve the other portion of your problem.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have owned Weatherby rifles in the past, the last one being a 257-Weatherby Accumark. I always thought the Weatherby Deluxe and Accumark were too heavy also.

I recommend looking at the Weatherby Ultra-Lite rifle chambered in 270-Weatherby, since you already have 270-Weatherby ammo. Weatherby chambers the Ultra-Lite in several caliber including 7mm & 300-Weatherby.

Good Luck
Old 01-27-2010, 09:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

A mountain rifle is NOT suppose to be heavy - that's why it's called a mountain rifle !

Weatherby is a very fine manufacturer and their firearms are extremly well built, but I just brought the X-bolt Stainless stalker in .338 win mag for mountain hunts.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...35&type_id=202

At the range, out of the box, with factory ammo, off sand bags - 1" MOA.

BTW - I'm 5'6" 160lbs.

Not for nothin'..........................Do what you think is best !
Old 02-06-2010, 05:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey relentless, I have already contacted the mods but before you get banned again, how many times will this make?
Old 02-06-2010, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

how about a browning .300 wsm? not heavy at all. and your right the wearthbys are very heavy. like its a joke how heavy they are. i think browning is the best thing going though. my encore is pretty fun though also.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

100 push ups a day should help the problem.

I would not add a bi-pod,I would look at a light weight sythetic stock,and practice shooting in a kneeling position.
.02 cents
BBJ
Old 02-11-2010, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

If you like Weatherby rifles and plan on taking 300-400 yard shots on elk you might want to consider the Weatherby Vanguard. It is made for Weatherby by Howa but the build quality is equal to other Weatherbys and its accuracy is probably superior. I have a Weatherby Vanguard in .300 WBY Magnum that shoots 1/4 MOA groups with factory ammunition. With the synthetic stock it is not too heavy and can be had brand new for as little as $500. The .300 WBY Magnum would be perfect for elk at 400 yards, the one caveat is the recoil is likely to be somewhat more punishing than you are used to if you have only been using the .280 for a long time.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

I would choose one and just go with it. If you can pack the heavier Weatherby around and shoot well with if with some shooting sticks or a rest go for it. If weight is an issue, go with the X-bolt. The x-bolt 22-250 I've been shooting will put three shots in a three in target dot at 500yds from the bench. I know its a smaller caliber, but the accuracy in the X-bolts shouldn't be a problem for longer shots.