Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Weatherby too heavy? >

Weatherby too heavy?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Weatherby too heavy?

Old 01-25-2010, 07:00 PM
Spike

Question Weatherby too heavy?

I recently brought a .270 Weatherby mag deluxe. I love it except its heavy. Difficult for me to hold still while taking those standing shots. I thought about buying a shooting stick but wonder if I want to also carry that around. I used my other gun (Browning A-Bolt stainless in a .280) for years and love it although I do not like the safety system (load & unload with gun on fire). I am planning on doing an elk hunt in 2 years so that's why I decided to get the Weatherby. I am now thinking about possibly selling the Weatherby Deluxe and either buying a Browning X-Bolt or a Weatherby Accumark in the 7mm calibers. The Accumark is about double the price of the Browning but is it worth it?

It is my understanding that some of the shots for elk where we will hunt can be 300+ yards. Might even come across a 400 to 500 yard shot. What gun/caliber would you recommend? Maybe just keep the Weatherby. I don't know.

Does anyone else think the Weatherby is too heavy? I know practice is extremely important. Too bad that Weatherby ammo is so expensive.

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

I really can't say anything about if its too heavy or what I could recommend but I have had a bi pod on my gun for quite a while and it makes a huge difference. My dad has a shooting stick that he has used for a couple years and really likes it. It is pretty light and helps out alot. I have shot off of it a few times and like it quite a bit.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Fork Horn

I don't normally take standing off-hand shots anyways. I pretty much always use a rest of some sort, whether its a tree to lean against, or getting into a more solid sitting position. But if you feel it is too heavy, it is. The Browning X Bolt is one nice rifle and they added the safety feature of being able to operate bolt while on safe.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:01 AM
Fork Horn

Why don't you use your .280 and just don't take any 300+ yard pokes?
Old 01-26-2010, 05:32 AM
Spike

I would not take any shot at an elk, or any other game, if I didn't feel comfortable in it being on the mark. The .280 is an excellent caliber but since my son enjoys using it I thought I upgrade and that is why I got the Weatherby Deluxe.

I think my mistake is that I should have gotten a synthetic in a stainless which would have cut down on the weight. The Weatherby is a great rifle for me if I have time to take a rest or if the shot is under 100 yards.

I was leaning toward buying the X-Bolt when a gunsmith told me that the accumark would be a much better choice if taking a longer shot. I agree BUT will it be that much better especially at twice the price.

I also own a .270 in win mod 70 classic that I really like. Maybe a mod 70 stainless is the way to go. Too many nice rifles out there. I am probably overthinking this but I want this to be the last one I ever buy. I think I will go with the 7 mm mag.

Anybody with experience or expertise on this fine guns?
Old 01-26-2010, 06:16 AM
Typical Buck

i was in the market for a new rifle and you are right the weatherby seemed alot heavier than the competition.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

The X Bolt I had was plenty accurate. I think your gunsmith's "advice" was not particularly useful.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Double Droptine
I recently brought a .270 Weatherby mag deluxe. I love it except its heavy. Difficult for me to hold still while taking those standing shots. I thought about buying a shooting stick but wonder if I want to also carry that around. I used my other gun (Browning A-Bolt stainless in a .280) for years and love it although I do not like the safety system (load & unload with gun on fire). I am planning on doing an elk hunt in 2 years so that's why I decided to get the Weatherby. I am now thinking about possibly selling the Weatherby Deluxe and either buying a Browning X-Bolt or a Weatherby Accumark in the 7mm calibers. The Accumark is about double the price of the Browning but is it worth it?

It is my understanding that some of the shots for elk where we will hunt can be 300+ yards. Might even come across a 400 to 500 yard shot. What gun/caliber would you recommend? Maybe just keep the Weatherby. I don't know.

Does anyone else think the Weatherby is too heavy? I know practice is extremely important. Too bad that Weatherby ammo is so expensive.

Thanks.
If The W. 270 is too heavy why would you go to 7MM ?, in any brand it would be even heavier, I own several Weatherbies, and I shoot of hand , I'm 60 Years old , I have no problem holding it steady, my advice is get someone to train you personally on shooting techniques.
This is not something new my oldest son has being hunting with me since he was 10 recently he missed a bunch of deer off hand, I then realized when I saw him shooting he does not hold the rifle correctly or use the proper breathing techniques when he is shooting off hand, all his life he is being hunting in stands with rifle rests.

So we went to the shooting range and put him through shooting in all positions, kneeling, flat on stomach, leaning against a post, side shooting all off hand, it took about 2 boxes of ammo until he started hitting the target good.
He probably missed 8 deers this year off hand.
He uses a Weatherby .270.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Weatherby and can tell you that it is pretty heavy. It can get pretty tiring carrying it on long hikes. I have other rifles but always take my Weatherby because it's my favorite and I put up with the extra weight.

Besides, it's a 300 Wby Mag and the heavy rifle tames the recoil nicely.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

You're not saying you're attempting to take standing 300yd shots at elk are you?
At 300-500yds I'd just find a rest, and make it happen.

I'd recommend doing some push ups and just go about it that way, I really don't think a 6lb rifle vs. a 8lb rifle will be any easier to shoot offhand...

Weatherby is now loading some $39/box ammo in .257wby and .300wby I believe. So if you're dying for another weatherby with cheaper ammo, look at their site and these two calibers.

Get yourself a semi-lightweight setup in a .300WSM and call it a day. Or a .270WSM

Checkout a hill country rifle if you're looking to spend wby accumark money...or for another grand I'd look at HS precision. I think the hill country will shoot sub MOA they say, and the HS says 1/2"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.