Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Which AR-15???? >

Which AR-15????

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which AR-15????

Old 01-26-2010, 11:21 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ajstrider
I like the Smith and Wesson AR's myself. If you haven't looked into piston driven ones, you should. A piston driven AR keeps all the hot, dirty gases out of the action which prevents it from fouling up and overheating the action. I like the new Ruger 556 as far as piston driven rifles go.
i all honesty there is no reason for the average guy to have a piston driven AR. Lube before and clean after. It will take care of you if you take care of it. Pistons are a neat design but not worth the extra money IMO. Besides Hunters don't fire off 12,000 rounds. One shot, one kill, right hunters. Having a piston upper will not improve this type of hunting method.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:46 AM
Spike

I prefer Colt. They've been making them for so long and have made so many that they're set up to machine just about every part they can from single pieces of steel. Other manufacturers often cut corners and weld pieces together for certain parts, mainly because they don't make enough and it isn't cost-effective enough for them to set up the equipment to do it the way Colt does. Some other manufactiurers also use cheaper grades of steel and outsource production. Colt does it all in-house.

Attended a course recently where they showed us a LOT of other manufacturer's guns with blown-out barrels and all kinds of nasty malfunctions. Also showed us a Colt that had not been cleaned in 30,000 rounds and was still functioning (just had oil added to the bolt every now and then).

Of course, no one is going to fire a rifle for that long without cleaning. Heck, most people will never fire 30,000 rounds - or even 3,000. But that kind quality is undoubtedly going to be reflected in other areas of the weapon's build and performance, too. Just my opinion.

Of course, regardless of manufacturer, quality magazines are going to be what keeps you running longer and malfunction-free.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote=jimmy the foot;3563931 Besides Hunters don't fire off 12,000 rounds..[/quote]

it is fun though!!!
Old 02-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Spike

I agree with the Armalite. Lifetime warrantee, mil-spec--which doesn't seem to mean anything until you go to change something and it won't fit. Very accurate and no suprises. You might want to look at a National Match-- more precise everything. Once you shoot one-you won't want anything else
Old 02-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

All Ar15's are Mil Spec.

If you are willing to do a little work yourself you can save a few hundred dollars.

Get you a "kit" from someone like JT Distributing (which is Double Star) or Ranger sales. These "kits" will come with everything except for the stripped lower receiver. They are fully assembled and headspaced so there is no work that you will have to do to the upper. The "kit" can be shipped straight to your home.

Then purchase a lower receiver for about $100 and put it together yourself. Putting it together will consist of installing the lower parts like trigger, mag release, grip, stock, etc... Very easy to do. The lower receiver will need to be shipped to a gun dealer as this is the serial numbreed part and is what the BATFE considers to be the firearm.

If you go with the standard parts you can get a stainless, free floated, bull barrelled varmint rifle for under $700 that will shoot 1moa or better and would have cost you $1200 off the shelf. If you can afford more then upgrade the trigger, stock, etc... if you like.

http://jtdistributing.net/store/

http://www.rangersales.com/index.php...fd2e241f56079f

http://www.jsesurplus.com/delawarema...eiverar15.aspx
Old 02-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am a fan of DPMS, they are nicely priced and come in many different combination.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
All Ar15's are Mil Spec.

If you are willing to do a little work yourself you can save a few hundred dollars.

Get you a "kit" from someone like JT Distributing (which is Double Star) or Ranger sales. These "kits" will come with everything except for the stripped lower receiver. They are fully assembled and headspaced so there is no work that you will have to do to the upper. The "kit" can be shipped straight to your home.

Then purchase a lower receiver for about $100 and put it together yourself. Putting it together will consist of installing the lower parts like trigger, mag release, grip, stock, etc... Very easy to do. The lower receiver will need to be shipped to a gun dealer as this is the serial numbreed part and is what the BATFE considers to be the firearm.

If you go with the standard parts you can get a stainless, free floated, bull barrelled varmint rifle for under $700 that will shoot 1moa or better and would have cost you $1200 off the shelf. If you can afford more then upgrade the trigger, stock, etc... if you like.

http://jtdistributing.net/store/

http://www.rangersales.com/index.php...fd2e241f56079f

http://www.jsesurplus.com/delawarema...eiverar15.aspx
Hey big bulls, I just wanted to say thanks for posting that last link, I just picked up my stripped lower today to build my 1st AR! Even the guy at the gun shop said wow, 90$ shipped is a steal! now Im trying to get a hold of AR 15 kits.com in the other link you posted, but they havent returned my emails and didnt answer when I called. I wanna see if I can get a post ban NY compliant kit. Thanks again.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

You're welcome.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like bigbulls said, just build it yourself. My eighteen year old son just did that. He got a good deal on S&W M&P15 lower at a local shop, and he started going to gun shows and looking at mail order places for the rest of the parts. He saved a bunch of money and he now knows his rifle inside and out.