Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Which AR-15???? >

Which AR-15????

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which AR-15????

Old 01-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default Which AR-15????

I'm planning to purchase an AR-15 for target practice and predator hunting. I've started to research them and didn't realize there were so many brands. For those that have experience with "black rifles", what brand would you go with.

- DMPS
- Bushmaster
- Stag ARMS
- Rock River
- Remington AR15
- others????
Old 01-24-2010, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

First choice would be the Stag with Bushmaster a close second..
Old 01-24-2010, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by A11en
I'm planning to purchase an AR-15 for target practice and predator hunting. I've started to research them and didn't realize there were so many brands. For those that have experience with "black rifles", what brand would you go with.

- DMPS
- Bushmaster
- Stag ARMS
- Rock River
- Remington AR15
- others????
Bushmaster and Remington are the same rifle, one is just camo.

I believe DMPS and RR use parts from a supplier and just put the rifles together...

I think Stag makes their own..Oly Arms does for sure.

I myself have a CMMG lower, RRA parts kit, Bushy upper and it shoots great...
Old 01-25-2010, 01:39 AM
Fork Horn

I like the Smith and Wesson AR's myself. If you haven't looked into piston driven ones, you should. A piston driven AR keeps all the hot, dirty gases out of the action which prevents it from fouling up and overheating the action. I like the new Ruger 556 as far as piston driven rifles go.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

I have the remington and it shoots great and i have never had a malfunction. It is great for coyotes
Old 01-26-2010, 02:32 PM
Spike

i have owned and handled many ars and i must say i like the armalites the best. the one i have is very accurate and the upper and lower receivers have no absolutely no play in them
Old 01-26-2010, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

my buddy got this colt..and she is a beauty colt ar15a3...i had a few off brand and some rem and some wolf and some Winchester shells i have piled up over the years...they ran through with no problem and we were puttin just about every other shell different (wolf,rem, Winchester) in every clip..where as my other buddies was jammin now and then... his is a ruger ...and is still very nice, but i believe i like that colt better, but i'd take either one.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:13 PM
Typical Buck

6 responses and 6 different opinions - looks like this is going to be harder than I thought.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've owned several ar's and I would have traded any of them for a mini 14. I'm a mini 14 guy all the way. The best ar that I owned was a Bushmaster.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:15 PM
Typical Buck

Barrel machining has come a long way IMO. Everyone is doing a good job honestly. I have 2 parts kits and had another but the Bull Barrel was just to heavy to tote around. All shoot sub MOA at 100 yrds. Any well know name brand will give you a good product. I have a complete bushy lower and a 16" pencil barrel upper with a rail handguard (model1sales.com) and it is perfect for hunting. Light weight, good out to 300+ yards with good boattail hunting ammo or match ammo. Not that bulk crap you see everyone selling. I bought good ammo in 55gr, 60gr, 62gr, 68gr, 75gr and 77gr. Take the time and money to see what your gun likes to digest. Check this not at 100 yrds but at least 200 yrds or more if you have ability. Both my guns cost around $800 bucks and have trigger jobs, rails, free floating barrel (a must IMHO) and of course GOOD GLASS!! Good glass is soooo important to the dusk/dawn shooter. By buying a parts gun you may save up to $200 or more and that can go towards your glass. good luck and happy shopping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.