HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Rifled slug question. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/315381-rifled-slug-question.html)

NorCal 01-19-2010 06:05 PM

Rifled slug question.

I have an appeal to those of greater experience than I. What has been your experience with rifled slugs in a smoothbore. I have been given some rifled slugs in 3/4in 12ga. I have a pump with a imp/mod choke. I'm not sure what I would use these for yet. How would they be to 50 yds? For those who suggest I get a slug gun instead, I will confess that at this time I've not the means to purchase one right now. I must make do with what I have. Any helpful input?

Big Z 01-19-2010 06:52 PM

See how far you can shoot 'em accurately. They'd be a dandy close-range deer load.

sconnyhunter 01-19-2010 07:02 PM

IF ya got a 12ga. handy go for it. Rifled slugs have killed deer for decades prior to the advent of rifled barrels. Also, not all rifled barrels are good for rifled slugs (seems the rifling on one may be counter to the other-barrel to the right and slug to the left-this is not always the case but often enough to be a serious problem). So with RIFLED slugs stick with a smooth bore gun and have fun.

cjr8fan 01-19-2010 07:02 PM

check out the whinchester rackmaster it shoots in smooth bore or rifled slug barrells shoots awesome in my sons mossberg 20 gauge

poppgunner 01-19-2010 07:55 PM

I seem to remember the Brenneke Rottweil slugs shot pretty good in my 870. They have cast markings on them that look like a turbine, I guess to make it spin. Does your slug gun have screw in chokes? Before fully rifled bores, thats what was used on sabot slugs. A buddy had a older Ithica Deerslayer and it worked pretty well. you can save up and get a used 870 then sent it out and let TarHunt in PA work their magic. crowned bull barrel, action job, trigger job.
This would be for less than half the cost of one of their bolt action guns. definitely something to save up for

NorCal 01-20-2010 04:27 PM

Thanks for info guys. I'll look into the Rackmaster and the Brenneke style slugs. In the meantime I'll head to the range and see what these badboys can do.

Daveboone 01-21-2010 05:13 PM

At 50 yards with practice, any deer will be in serious trouble if you do your work. The 2 3/4" 12g. slugs pack a mighty wallop. for the life of me I have never figured out why a 3" slug was ever made. The size of the slug makes moa shooting moot at 50 yards. I specifically sought out and bought a near new Ithaca model 37 smooth bore last fall because I think it is a perfect close action deer gun. Shooting a bird barrel though, is a whole new ball game. With no adjustable sights, it is very hard to get a consistent sight picture.

ajstrider 01-21-2010 05:40 PM

I think they will be alright, not super great, but alright. The problem with shooting smoothbore barrels and slugs comes when you try to start shooting the fancy sabot slugs. It takes some spin on the sabot to get it to separate properly from the slug.

spaniel 01-22-2010 02:51 AM

Unless you get a smoothbore IC clug barrel, your limiting factor will probably be your sighting system and not the slugs. Although they make a LOT better clip-op sights for the vent rib than when I was a kid and using rifled slugs.

Mark whiz 01-22-2010 04:04 PM

I know my boys have taken down quite a few boar hogs using rifled slugs in my 20GA Mossberg500. Out to about 75yds, the ballistics are close to a .50cal muzzleloader.

My gun really liked the Brenneke slugs that poppgunner mentioned.

Oh, I usually left on the imp. cyl. choke when they were shooting the slugs and it never caused an issue.