Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Help buying a Rangefinder >

Help buying a Rangefinder

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help buying a Rangefinder

Old 01-19-2010, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by gunnermhr
Leica 1200 CRF. You will not be dissapointed with this unit. It will range an animal at 1000 yards. It's a great unit for both long range and archery. The nice thing about using it for archery is how easy it is to use one handed compared to the LRF models. The CRF is simply a sweet set up
Yeah, what he said! Can't go wrong with the Leica, a bit more expensive but you'll be happy with it. I sold the Bushnell to buy the Leica, should have bought that one first.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

For game to 500 yds, either a Nikon or Bushnell 1500 will do it for you in virtually all conditions. Individual rangefinders of the same brand can vary, by Bushnell 1500 is only good to 600 on game/800 on terrain or trees but my buddy's of the same age will do 800 on game/1100 on terrain or trees.

If you want to go further, get the Leica. Zeiss is great but is even more expensive. No need for that for the ranges you mention.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the very first year model of the Nikon 880 Buckmaster (I think thats what it is). That rangefinder can't laser a pickup 500 yards away. It is basically an over-sized archery hunting laser.

I bought a Leica CRF 900 this summer, and I can laser deer/antelope/coyotes out past 800 yards with it. There is no waiting with it either, you put the lil square on what you want to laser, tap the button and BANG the yardage appears.

Another vote for the Leica!
Old 01-23-2010, 10:44 AM
Banned

Im going to check the Lieca out today, I'd still like to know if anyone has messed with the Leupolds..
Old 01-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a buddy that has one of the Leupold angle rangefinders. He feels he wasted his money on it since he can't laser a deer past 300 yards. His is about a year an half old version of it.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:07 PM
Banned

Ok...having never been a long range shooter, and looking to learn about it, I decided to do a little recon. I never shot past 100 yards at anything. First off, 500 yards is a long freakin way. At least to us on the east coast! I did a little measuring off of Google Earth and also paced of a few spots where I hunt. Distances are a lot shorter than they appear. Anyway, I don't see any need for a rangefinder that measures up to 1200 yards. So, what about some of those jobbies in the $200 range?
Old 01-26-2010, 05:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
what do you wanna range with them and how far? my first rangefinder was a bushnell 600, I never ranged a soft target (anything with hair on it that absorbs alot of the lazer instead of reflecting it) beyond 300 yards. you can use point blank range zero for almost all stooting to 300 yards and holdover to 400. the best thing that ever happened to me was the day I lost the bushy. If you bowhunt any of them will work for rifle hunting its a whole new game.
RR
Sorry, I kinda got outta whack there....

500 yards for Targets and Deer. That's it. After "getting in the field" I realized that 500 yard is out there (at least for me). I can't see wanting to go further than that with a typical factory hunting set up anyway, at least for now....

I'm looking at a few rigs now, either 270 or 7mmMag. I don't reload, so I'd like to take advantage of calibers with the most offerings out there. I wouldn't mind a 7MM-08, but it doesn't seem to have the offerings that the 270 does. Same goes for the Short Mags.

Anyway, since long range shooting is new for me, I plan to take some time to develop skills to be proficient. Not that I plan to run out and try it in a hunting situation any time soon. Any suggestions for tips, while I'm at it??