HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Savage 24F combo discontinued? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/315090-savage-24f-combo-discontinued.html)

8mm/06 01-16-2010 07:09 AM

Savage 24F combo discontinued?

I must be out of touch. When did savage stop producing the 24F combo guns? I could have sworn I saw them on their website last year sometime.

Always thought they were a great item for certain situations. Like having a camp gun around, not necessarily something you wanted to carry all day for a hunting trip, but for a couple hour walk-around through the woods when squirrels and rabbits and some birds might be present ... always liked the concept but never picked one up.

vabyrd 01-16-2010 08:11 AM

Seems like every time I see a used one they're bringing big bucks. Especially for a hardwood stocked Savage.

Pawildman 01-16-2010 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by vabyrd (Post 3556068)
Seems like every time I see a used one they're bringing big bucks. Especially for a hardwood stocked Savage.

Gun show coming up here the first weekend of Feb. Last year I noticed they were bringing $275-$350.....I expect them to be a bit higher this year, but we'll see. Even the most common of them, the .22/.410 O/U in good shape is getting lots of attention. They used to be everywhere, but people have been quietly gathering them up for several years, now. It was the first gun I ever hunted with as my own when I was just starting to hunt as a kid.

vabyrd 01-16-2010 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Pawildman (Post 3556111)
Gun show coming up here the first weekend of Feb. Last year I noticed they were bringing $275-$350.....I expect them to be a bit higher this year, but we'll see. Even the most common of them, the .22/.410 O/U in good shape is getting lots of attention. They used to be everywhere, but people have been quietly gathering them up for several years, now. It was the first gun I ever hunted with as my own when I was just starting to hunt as a kid.

Here ya go, have a look at this one....unreal

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=153507682

Leave it to Savage to push the heck out of a $299 bolt action when they could have been moving these. Imagine how nice they could make that gun with a little effort.

Whoever is in charge of marketing and product development should have their head examined.

Bunch of Clods.......

Pawildman 01-16-2010 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by vabyrd (Post 3556119)
Here ya go, have a look at this one....unreal

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=153507682

Leave it to Savage to push the heck out of a $299 bolt action when they could have been moving these. Imagine how nice they could make that gun with a little effort.

Whoever is in charge of marketing and product development should have their head examined.

Bunch of Clods.......

That sure is a purty 'ol girl......Getting the price right up there too. Unbelieveable. Some say there can be a bit of a problem sometimes to regulate the barrels to shoot to the same POI. I've never checked it. That would make a dandy poor man's Drilling turkey gun, tho....

mnnden 01-16-2010 04:29 PM

I purchased one several years ago 30/30-20ga, and used it one year deer hunting and I did get a doe. I don't think I ever shot the 20 ga, but IMOP it is kind of a worthless gun, unique yes, functional no, it is in fact a single shot, hard to operate, a little heavy, but it is different. anyone interested drop me an pm, Den

8mm/06 01-17-2010 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by mnnden (Post 3556316)
I purchased one several years ago 30/30-20ga, and used it one year deer hunting and I did get a doe. I don't think I ever shot the 20 ga, but IMOP it is kind of a worthless gun, unique yes, functional no, it is in fact a single shot, hard to operate, a little heavy, but it is different. anyone interested drop me an pm, Den

I'm not surprised to hear that some folks found these guns ungainly.

I actually was most interested in the 20 ga / 22LR model, and thought leaving it in the truck or taking it in the woods for a short pre-scouting walk in Sept. or post-scouting walk in January would be the most use. I wonder what the weight diffs would be for the different powered rifle options?

falcon 01-17-2010 03:24 AM

i have a Savage 24F in 20 gauge and .22 Hornet. Both barrels shoot to the same point of aim. The gun is very heavy and the only thing I use it for is called in coyotes. A load of #3 or #4 buckshot does a good job on close in coyotes.

Pro-Line 01-17-2010 04:52 AM

Falcon...The gun you had is in the minority. I've owned a few and shot some more, and there aren't many that have both barrels shooting at the same point of aim. I had a .223/12 that had impact differences of nearly 8" at 50 yds. How in the world can a person be asked to spend $500+ on a gun like this?

Some that had the scope mount that hooked on one side were a joke. You could put a small amount of pressure on the scope and it would move 1/4".

The older ones were OK at best as far as craftsmanship goes...IMO the newer ones were even worse.

falcon 01-17-2010 05:09 AM

Falcon...The gun you had is in the minority. I've owned a few and shot some more, and there aren't many that have both barrels shooting at the same point of aim. I had a .223/12 that had impact differences of nearly 8" at 50 yds. How in the world can a person be asked to spend $500+ on a gun like this?

Yes, i'm aware that it is unsusual for the barrels of a Savage model 24F to shoot to the same point of aim. Am pretty lucky to find that one that did; otherwise it would be gone. Savage never even attempted to fix a problem that would have been pretty easy to remedy.

You are right, Savage charged a terrible price for that gun and it is not worth it.