Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Do Ruger rifles "kick" more than others?  Opinions please >

Do Ruger rifles "kick" more than others? Opinions please

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Do Ruger rifles "kick" more than others? Opinions please

Old 01-15-2010, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default Do Ruger rifles "kick" more than others? Opinions please

Might sound like a strange question, but I've read on several posts that folks felt like their Ruger M77 "kicked" more than other models of rifles they shot in the same caliber.

Here's my quandry.....I've always wanted to have a .300 Win. Mag.....but I've always been a little afraid of the recoil.

I've used .270 Win., .30-06, and 7mm. Rem Mag. a WHOLE lot. Actually just sold a Browning Stainless Stalker in 7mm. Rem. Mag.
It was a PLEASURE to shoot.

I just really like the CRF action on the Ruger, and would eventually add a custom barrel, trigger, ect.

I just dont want to get a .300 Winny and then regret it.
I'm only hunting deer and hogs, but would LOVE to hunt elk some day (might never happen though)
I totally understand that most will say to go with a .270 or .30-06 and that I don't NEED the .300.......I know, I know, I know........

Any opinions from Ruger users would be appreciated.....especially if you have one in .300 Win. Mag.

Schoolcraft
Old 01-15-2010, 11:58 AM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-17-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:58 AM
Fork Horn

I've also heard that Ruger's kick harder but recoil is very subjective so it probably depends more on who you're talking to and how much shooting experiance they have.

The only common round that I've had a chance to compare side by side is a 270 Win.
1 a Ruger 77 MKII, the other a Win 70 XTR Featherweight, both wearing factory woodstocks.

I couldn't really tell any difference between the two but I'm not especially recoil shy when it comes to a 270 so others will have different opinioons I'm sure.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

The ones with the cheesy boat paddle stock sure do. Otherwise, in general, pound for pound and in comparable weighted rifles...no probably not.
Recoil is all about rifle weight, charge weight, bullet weight, fit, tolerance and noise.

Its not 'brand name specfic'.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

I know "kick" isn't brand specific.....

Just wondering if Rugers stock design lends it to have more "felt" recoil for some shooters.

The Ruger rifles actually fit me about as well as any factory gun I've ever held.....and that goes a long way in making one feel like it kicks less.

I have heard that Ruger stocks have no cant in them. Supposed to be totally straight in the left and right handed models. Always wondered how that would effect the way it felt during recoil verses one with a little cant to it.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Spike

I've 2 358 winchesters, one is a ruger 77 and the other I put together on a mauser action. The ruger does seem to kick more but it's only 2/3 the weight of the mauser.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-17-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

I wouldnt think the 300 win mag would feel much different than you 7mm . I dont think my Ruger 300 win mag (wood stock) is unpleasant to shoot (with upper range hand loads, 180 grain projectiles), any more than a heavy load 30-06. Remember to practice shooting it as you would in the field- most likely with heavy clothing on, and for heavens sake make sure you wear hearing protection.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you like a Ruger action, buy the gun...If you find that you need to work on the stock you can start by changing the butt pad or even put a new higher grade stock on her...I would bet most of us that have hunted for many years always tweek our guns during the off season...See, that's the real reason we have hunting seasons, to give us some off time to work on our equipment...

As far as the kick, my brother has 2-.270s...One is a Ruger and one is a Remington...I sight both in for him and sometimes hunt with them...I can't tell any difference...
Old 01-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Ruger AW with the boat paddle stock in 30-06. Even with stout 180 grain loads I do not find it any more uncomfortable than the other 30-06's I have shot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.