Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Lazzeroni rifes and cartridges >

Lazzeroni rifes and cartridges

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Lazzeroni rifes and cartridges

Old 01-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Spike

Default Lazzeroni rifes and cartridges

I have just now started looking into lazzeroni rifles and cartridges and was wondering if anybody has one or knows much about them. Are the rifles really worth the money? And if so which would you prefer getting for North American game the .284 firebird or .308 warbird? And also which bullet has a better BC between the .308 and .284?
Old 01-14-2010, 03:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Overpriced and overrated...
Old 01-14-2010, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't want to replace the barrel on a $5000 dollar hunting rifle every 1000 rounds because I just had to push a 180 gr bullet at 3500+ fps, nor would I want to pay $45 for 20 pieces of brass, or $100/20 rnds if I didn't reload.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

The prob is with specialized rifles like the Lazzer is the ammo. You can buy a ton of 7mm Rem Mag ammo in bulk for what youll pay for a handful of boxes of Lazz ammo. And the gain isnt that great with Lazz over any std magnum. Sort of the law of diminishing returns type of deal. But if you just gotta have a Lazz then good luck.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd go with one of their short magnums over their long magnums, simply to keep velocities to acceptable limits...

Also I think their ballistics are taken at 3000' and they coat their bullets with a lube, so I think this helps gain them some #'s on their tables, so its not apples to appleas always...

I think I'd stay away from propriatary cartridges...

Plenty of fast, more popular cartridges out there... any of the RUMs, Weatherbys,

Velocity seems to sell, but none the less, who cares, it's more important to hit what and where you're aiming.

Ballistic coefficients will always out run muzzle velocity too.

Pretty sure the 6.5mm and 7mm tend to have the highest BCs, think .338s might be pretty high too with 250-300grs

How far are you really wanting/planning to shoot a target? deer? elk?

Last edited by salukipv1; 01-14-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:32 AM
Typical Buck

If your serious about this, talk to ridgerunner. He shoots a 7mm allen mag. Built by Kirby Allen. Not cheap, not cheaper than a lazz
Old 01-15-2010, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by okgobbler
Not cheap, not cheaper than a lazz
Much cheaper then a Lazz...
Old 01-16-2010, 07:17 AM
Typical Buck

sorry, i meant "but cheaper than a lazz"

Thanks for catching it
Old 01-17-2010, 04:25 AM
Fork Horn

Lazzeroni cartridges are for the rich as far as I am concerned. Sure they give tons of velocity which translates into a ton of energy.

This is all my opinion so I'm sure someone will disagree, but honestly the speeds are too fast with too much energy. They put out way too much energy for their bullet diameter. Sure their .308 caliber cartridges put out enough energy to drop a big old bear, but if I out hunting big bear, I want a larger diameter bullet to make a large wound channel, not just ft lbs of energy. At the speed their long magnums travel, I would hate to estimate how many rounds before a barrel replacement will be needed.

Not only is their ammo expensive, reloading components are expensive as well.

I just don't see any use to their cartridges.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
my 7mm AM will easily outrun the 7mm firebird, brass is cheaper, rifles can be had much cheaper also.
also Kenny Jarrets 300 kong gave warbird performance 20 years ago with the technology available then (before the days of H-50BMG, Retumbo, US869, re-25, vv20N29 and such)
also there is the 30 allen express, like the 7mm AM its parent case is the 338 lapua mag, much better brass at 1.90 ea. same performance as the warbird, more cost effective.
RR
Is there a allen mag website? kirby allen? etc...?

would at least like to read up more on his cartridges etc...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.