Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Myth Busters >

Myth Busters

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Myth Busters

Old 01-09-2010, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Myth Busters

saw a segment of myth busters where bullets ricochet mathematically.
so i was thinkin bout gettin a target made of steel to shoot at. so now im thinkin maybe i should put it on an angle not that of 90" . back toward me ..what do you think?

if you didnt see this segment, they made a bullet bounce off of 3 surfaces , basically a U-turn, and hit a target..noting that shooting straight at the target was like playing base ball..where the batter puts it at 100mph right at the pitcher!!!!
Old 01-09-2010, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
saw a segment of myth busters where bullets ricochet mathematically.
so i was thinkin bout gettin a target made of steel to shoot at. so now im thinkin maybe i should put it on an angle not that of 90" . back toward me ..what do you think?

if you didnt see this segment, they made a bullet bounce off of 3 surfaces , basically a U-turn, and hit a target..noting that shooting straight at the target was like playing base ball..where the batter puts it at 100mph right at the pitcher!!!!
..........Are you gonna try this?? If so, let us know. You should sell tickets............
Old 01-09-2010, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

I saw part of the segment it was pretty cool but the way I understood it was the bullet would never have enough velocity and energy to be lethal. but I still didn't fishish the segment so I dont know what happen after that.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are just as many variables to this equation as there are bullet types and chamberings of guns.

In some of my informal tests out on the pasture. a .224" 50 gr. Vmax will for example punch a near perfect hole right thru a piece of 3/8" mild steel hot rolled plate...assuming it hits at about 3400 fps and 90 degrees.

Check out the Mythbusters show where they try to blow up a shotgun. Its pretty amazing. Or the one where they shoot a 50 cal. into water.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-17-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by LifexIsxHunting
I saw part of the segment it was pretty cool but the way I understood it was the bullet would never have enough velocity and energy to be lethal. but I still didn't fishish the segment so I dont know what happen after that.
Don't believe that. I had a buddy who shot into a frozen hillside and the bullet cme right back at him and put a big groove in his head and knocked him flat on his butt. 1" lower and I would have been a pallbearer.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:24 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I "had" a buddy who shot at a steel pan with a 22 and it came back - hit him in the head and he died.

So no it is not cool!

JW
Old 01-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's a youtube video of a guy shooting a 50 bmg at steel and the bullet comes back and skips off the guys head, took his hat off in the process. You can hear that bullet coming and no doubt that if it would've struck his head dead on, it would've been lethal.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JW!
I "had" a buddy who shot at a steel pan with a 22 and it came back - hit him in the head and he died.

So no it is not cool!

JW
wtf. That's terrible.

Tom
Old 01-09-2010, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

i saw that episode

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.