Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
new to this - can you point me in the right direction? >

new to this - can you point me in the right direction?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

new to this - can you point me in the right direction?

Old 01-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Spike

Default new to this - can you point me in the right direction?

Hey guys, i have been lurking around the site for a little bit and finally decided to register.

I have some questions and i figure i wont learn without asking so here it goes.

I just turned 21, live in canada and have recently acquired an interest for hunting. now, currently the most hunting i have done is with pellet guns shooting rabbits and squirrels at my cottage.

I have always loved the outdoors and am currently an avid fisherman; but i want to make the switch and play with the big boys.

I currently do not have a (as i understand) "un-restricted license" which is what i believe i need to have to own a rifle/shotgun in canada? i plan on completing this either this semester while i am at school or in the upcoming summer when i am done school.

I have grown up in the suburbs but have always loved spending my time in the outdoors. growing up in the suburbs dosnt really expose you to much "outdoorsy/ hunting" knowledge. so everything i have learned has come via the internet.

everything i get into i always try to do a lot of research before i jump in, weather it be snowboarding, wake-boarding, fishing or buying a TV. i like to be well educated.

I think i would like to hunt deer, so obviously i would need a rifle. But, i have no knowledge of guns really. i understand the differences between rifle/shotgun and i have a grasp on the caliber that guns shoot but other than that im pretty much stranded.

I was hoping that someone would be able to point me in the direction that i need to go. maybe give me the basics on brands and how they stand in the market place (quality, value, consumer loyalty, appeal) (if you want tell im a marketing student) and what some good first time rifles would be. Also what guns are well suited for hunting a particular species?

Please also include anything else you think would be useful for me to learn/know.

Thanks in advance, and sorry about writing a novel!

-Josh
Old 01-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Savage makes great rifles for pretty good prices. The Marlin XL-7 is also getting a lot of good feedback. I'd stay away from the Remington 710's and 770's though. Actually I'd stay away from anything Remington if it was made in the last several years. If it's a older Remington as in 20 or 30 years old most of their stuff other than the 742 rifle was pretty good. The 742 had issues that caused it to wear out quickly.

I'd look at Savage if you are on a budget. If you want to spend a little more Browning also makes very nice guns.

As for caliber there are many good deer calibers. If you want something that can be used to hunt almost anything 30-06 is a tried and proven caliber. If you want something that doesn't kick so hard 243 is a great round that's decent for deer. I just wouldn't hunt anything bigger than deer with it.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have come to the right place. I'm sorry to hear that your from Canada. Its a lovely place to visit, unless you want to hunt or fish there.

After you get an "unrestricted license" if that's what you need. Go to a hunter safety class, if you haven't already, or don't need to for your "un-restricted license".

My personal fav. for rifles is Ruger. Browning makes several lines to accomodate just about any hunter. Caliber is a tricky devil to select. Depending on what you want to accomplish with your choice of weapon, a 12Ga. shotgun with an optional slug barrel may fit the bill just as well for everything from squirrels\rabbits\grouse to waterfowl, deer, caribou, bear and beyond.

Remember, what you ultimately choose must boil down to proper fit and ability to safely, and humanely kill what you shoot. As for anything else the sky is the limit.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's hard to have such a broad discussion. Perhaps you can narrow down to something more specific. Tell us what you want to do, and what you're looking at for equipment. Piece by piece, you'll get pointed in the right direction.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:16 AM
Spike

yea, well... thats sorta the problem, i dont know enough about this stuff to really know what i need.

I don't want to hunt anything larger than a deer, for now, so something that is well suited for that.

I was looking around on the browning site, their are so many options!

I dont need to have a "new" firearm, i just want it to be a good quality gun that i can own for many years.

i figure my budget is about 500-1000

How much do guns depreciate after they have been purchased? a used gun might be an excellent alternative for me?

Thanks alot!
Old 01-07-2010, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good guns rarely depreciate. They can and usually will go up in value. Maybe part of it is due to inflation and what not but hold one long enough and you'll likely sell it for more than you paid. Though don't look at guns or any other material good as an investment.

If all you want to hunt are deer then a non magnum cartridge is what will suite you best.

Choosing the brand of rifle will be easy, because of your price range. You'll have lots of choices. What you need to do is pick a cartridge. On the low end are the .243win, .25-06. Middle of the road, 7mm-08, 270Win, .308Win. Higher end .30-06, 300WM etc...

Do you know anyone that already has a gun collection that will take you target shooting? Are there hunting clubs in your area or shooting groups?

You may want to get a feel for your tolerance for recoil. Don't focus on brand it's a waste of time. When you shoulder a bunch of rifles and cycle the bolts you'll know which one is for you.

Tom
Old 01-07-2010, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by joshvmartin
yea, well... thats sorta the problem, i dont know enough about this stuff to really know what i need.

I don't want to hunt anything larger than a deer, for now, so something that is well suited for that.

I was looking around on the browning site, their are so many options!

I dont need to have a "new" firearm, i just want it to be a good quality gun that i can own for many years.

i figure my budget is about 500-1000

How much do guns depreciate after they have been purchased? a used gun might be an excellent alternative for me?

Thanks alot!
The problem with giving you an answer on this is that most of it is going to be personal opinion more then anything.

Here's my 2 cents.

Using your $1000 budget.

I would buy a 7mm-08, 308, 270 or 30-06. The first 2 are short action rifles which will be a little shorter and lighter and have a mild recoil. You should also go to your local shops and see the availability of the ammo.

270 or 30-06 are long actions and are a tiny bit heavier and longer and have a bit more recoil but depending on your size shouldn't be to uncomfortable to shoot.

7mm-08 go with 140grn, 308 & 30-06-- 150-165grn, 270 go with 130 or 150 grn. Federal fusion seems to be a good lower priced ammo.

Brands of rifle are totally up to you but a bolt action Remington 700 is prob one of the most popular rifles out there and will give you the accuracy you need. Going with a Browning, Tikka, Ruger, Savage, Winchester and Weatherby(Vanguard) are also good choices but that is more of a personal "feel" of the gun. It hard to say which will be best for you but all of these brands should be out of the box plenty accurate for what you are looking for and in your price range.

Scope www.budsgunshop.com is selling the Bushnell Elite 4200 3x9x40mm for $250 shipped. I think that is the best deal going right now from what I have seen online. There are other options for optics but a 3x9x40mm is pretty much the standard for a deer rifle.

Leupold rings and 2 piece bases are the standard for mounting the scope on the gun and med height rings will work for you. There are many brands of rings that will work fine just don't buy Tasco or anything cheap for mounting the scope.

That is a very generalized answer to a very broad question and there maybe 100000000000 posts arguing my choices but overall you should be good with any of the above mentioned set ups.

DO NOT buy a cheap scope hoping to get a better rifle that is a huge mistake of a lot of new gun buyers.

Good luck with your decision. If I were in your situation (depending on ammo availability) I would prob go with this.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/57173

again my personal opinion.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:51 AM
Banned

Josh-

Don't hang your hat on everything that is said on this site. While it can be very informative at times, it turns ugly pretty easily. Your enthusiasm for hunting and the outdoors is apparent not to mention eagerness to learn. Don't discount shooting your pellet rifle. Shooting is shooting, practice is practice, safety is safety, no matter what the weapon. I suggest heading to the library and try to find some youth hunting books. Ducks Unlimited has one titled "The Young Hunters Guide to Duck Hunting and Conservation." I think that's the exact title. Anyway, while you may not be interested in ducks, it has some very good information about firearms, safety, and conservation. Don't worry about titles such as "beginner" or "youth". We all have to start somewhere. For now though, don't get too caught up in what rifle to buy. You will change your mind 100 times. Go to as many shops as you can and handle all that they will let you. Read, read, read....

Most hunters will gladly take the time to show you things and answer questions. There is nothing more satisfying than remembering our own beginnings, and passing it along to others.

Good Luck!

VA
Old 01-07-2010, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last I knew, there were many firearms bargains to be had In Canada... Lots of "casual" hunters or former hunters have been selling thier guns rather than dealing with registration issues..

Are there any gunshops in your area..?... That might be a good place to look for a good servicable hunting rifle or shotgun without breaking the bank... Also, if you have any hunting friends or aquaintances, you might get a good deal by word of mouth... I have a hunting buddy who lives in Ontario, and I often DROOL at some of the bargains he has come across in the last few years.. Unfortunately, due to red tape involved in importing them, they are not cost effective for me, but this is not a problem with a Canadian citizen..
Old 01-07-2010, 09:47 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by vabyrd
Josh-

Don't hang your hat on everything that is said on this site. While it can be very informative at times, it turns ugly pretty easily. Your enthusiasm for hunting and the outdoors is apparent not to mention eagerness to learn. Don't discount shooting your pellet rifle. Shooting is shooting, practice is practice, safety is safety, no matter what the weapon. I suggest heading to the library and try to find some youth hunting books. Ducks Unlimited has one titled "The Young Hunters Guide to Duck Hunting and Conservation." I think that's the exact title. Anyway, while you may not be interested in ducks, it has some very good information about firearms, safety, and conservation. Don't worry about titles such as "beginner" or "youth". We all have to start somewhere. For now though, don't get too caught up in what rifle to buy. You will change your mind 100 times. Go to as many shops as you can and handle all that they will let you. Read, read, read....

Most hunters will gladly take the time to show you things and answer questions. There is nothing more satisfying than remembering our own beginnings, and passing it along to others.

Good Luck!

VA
Wow guys! thank you all for all the imput you have put in! Although i have only been here for a short while it seems like you guys make up a nice community of enthusiasts.

From everything i have read it seems like i need to go back to the books and learn more about the basics before i make a purchase.

I have been shooting BB guns and Pellet guns for nearly 10 years off and on but only recently have i had an urge to move up to a true firearm.

I found the Ducks unlimited book on amazon, its actually called

"A Young Hunter's Guide to Waterfowling and Conservation", but with your help it was the first thing that popped up on google; i think ill by it.

Are their any-books you could recommend that specifically speak about rifles? like people say "oh, you should get the 30-08" well... im sitting here saying cool, what the hell does 30-08 mean and what do the numbers represent.

Since i am from the suburbs non of my friends hunt (i think an old friends dad used to hunt, but i haven't spoken to that friend in years). So im not really sure about finding a local hunter. i am sure though that my girlfriend has a few old friends from home that hunt deer, i guess i could always ask them.

As for local shops, im really not that sure. There is a bass pro shop on the way to my cottage that i stop at every-time i pass.

Does anyone live in the GTA that could recommend a place i would feel comfortable visiting and asking questions?

I have found a local range that offers the non-restricted licenses as well as the hunting course, i believe it is known as the H1??

Again, thanks a lot guys for helping me out with this very vague question! i really do appreciate all the time you have taken with me!

Im going to start reading now.

-Josh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.