Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

scope help

Old 01-06-2010, 09:57 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by vabyrd
Wow, you didn't even call me names...

Does it have anything to do with "blackout" when you're not aligned correctly? Or is that something different?
No and yes. Nikon designs it so parallax will be min when you hit the edge of view. Where Leupold and others designs it so you can go outside the range.

In other words, you lose sight pic with nikon before parralax gets too bad.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigcountry
No and yes. Nikon designs it so parallax will be min when you hit the edge of view. Where Leupold and others designs it so you can go outside the range.

In other words, you lose sight pic with nikon before parralax gets too bad.
So would Nikon be better suited for long range shooting or is there a point where it wouldn't make a difference between the two?
Old 01-06-2010, 10:27 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by vabyrd
So would Nikon be better suited for long range shooting or is there a point where it wouldn't make a difference between the two?

I like nikon for my LR. For Long range, leupold gets much more expensive. I like the Leupold M4 also for long range. but it runs 20% more for comparible Nikon.

I have a few target monarchs. Honestly if you have target turrets and AO, either works for me. You adjust out the parallax with both depending on your yardage.

Niether can adjust out mirage however. On a hot summer morning, it affects you targets real position relative to your eye too.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Banned

I like nikon for my LR. For Long range, leupold gets much more expensive. I like the Leupold M4 also for long range. but it runs 20% more for comparible Nikon.

I have a few target monarchs. Honestly if you have target turrets and AO, either works for me. You adjust out the parallax with both depending on your yardage.

Niether can adjust out mirage however. On a hot summer morning, it affects you targets real position relative to your eye too.

Interesting. I like the side adjustment on the new Monarchs.. Been thinking about putting together a 500 yard rig. 500? only because that's the back of my range. Not really looking for a target set up, but not really looking to do much long range hunting either...more for poops, giggles, and shear boredom..
Old 01-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Typical Buck

You guys have it down to an art
Absolutely right on all counts

Parralux is relative in all scopes and each individual has their own tolerance to it as stated. The key is sight alignment to the rifle, shotgun, pistol, sling shot, whatever fit's YOU! Most people unless they shoot ALOT have not a clue about Parallux and the change in POI or aim for that matter. Thanks guys for making a true life post on this thread

JM2Cents............
Old 01-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

This thread has become more complex than it needs to be. The Slugmaster is a great scope for your shotgun. It is bright and clear and does everything you need it to out to 150 yards. I have one as do two of my friends and I have never heard a complaint from them or anyone else for that matter. I also have a Leupold VX-I on another slug gun and a Zeiss Conquest on a muzzleloader. They too are great scopes, but not really necessary as the Nikon Slugmaster (while maybe not quite as good) is more than sufficient. In fact, I like it better than the Leupold personally. The rest of the technical jargon is fun to throw around in deer camp, but in most cases won't help you shoot your next deer.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

That sounds like too much common sense for most people...............

Do you mean to say that you've tried it and it works well !?!?

What a concept....................but that's just your opinion, right !?

Good for you !!!
Old 01-06-2010, 05:15 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Jackson Bowner
The rest of the technical jargon is fun to throw around in deer camp, but in most cases won't help you shoot your next deer.
Deer forum is up top. This is the shooting forum. Most of us here shoot and shoot alot and not always just your one week a year deer.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Spike

thanks i am goin to go with that nikon or a small leupold just because the scope will cost more then what i paid for gun dont want to get to tech. with it just my first slug gun so i got time to play. unless i find used one
Old 01-07-2010, 03:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to hear you found some slugs the gun shoots well. As I said before, Brenneke makes more than one slug under the KO label. The KO Sabot is what I use. They also make a hybrid style slug called a KO. If you shoot hybrids or slugs like the True-ball, be sure to check the bore for leading.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.