Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New Marlin XL7 25-06 >

New Marlin XL7 25-06

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Marlin XL7 25-06

Old 01-05-2010, 07:27 AM
Spike

Default New Marlin XL7 25-06

Just got a new marlin Xl7, 25-06 for Christmas! Been eyeing this gun for 2 years now. Anyhow, my question is this. I am planning on an antelope hunt and possibly using it for white tail occasionally. What power and brand scope do you recommend? How about your preferred break in procedure? Thanks to all. I have been trolling here for some time and thought I would finally post to share my excitement!
Old 01-05-2010, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-17-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:48 AM
Typical Buck

I usually shoot 1 and clean for 5 shots, then shoot 2 and clean for 10 shots, then shoot 3 and clean for 15 shots. 30 shots usually is sighted in and gives some info about the loads I'm trying.

For scopes, I really like the burris ffII's. I have 3 and are really happy with them. With that being said they aren't nikon monarchs or leupold vx-3's but they are solid clear scopes that can be had for under $200
Old 01-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Spike

Congratulations, on the XL7. You might want to check-out the Mueller APV scope. It's a 4.5-14 x 40mm, that sells for around 115. Don't own one but, I've been hearing good things about them.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Love the round. I have a 3-9x on my 25-06, though I might up it to 4-12x if I were to buy another. Leupold or Nikon are good glass...though for the money, a cabela's pine ridge works pretty good. I think I'm gonna try rolling some 80gr Barnes ttsx's next, and I've had luck with bullets as small as the 75gr Hdy HP, and as big as 120s. Hard to mess up with the 25-06
Old 01-06-2010, 09:26 AM
Spike

I hadn't ever considered a Mueller, but based upon your suggestion, I did some research and have seen some favorable reviews. All my other glass is Nikon, but I am willing to try something different. Anybody out there own the Mueller? Any other recommendations?
Old 01-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd check into the Vortex line. I've seen their Crossfires for cheap. Check out S.W.F.A.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great choice on the gun. I've had my eye on one of those myself. For some reason I really want a 25-06 and the XL-7's seem to really get great reviews.

If you want a decent priced scope that's great I'd look at the Burris Fullfield II. I have one in 3x9x40mm and I love it. Great vibrant colors, great in low light, just all around super clear scope. Also seems to hold up pretty well. Has ridden around in a truck a bit and still held zero from bouncing around in the truck.

I've also had decent luck with Simmons scopes if you want something cheaper. I've also has good luck with a Tasco too but it hasn't taken near the abuse of the Simmons ones. I have a Simmons on a .22 so it doesn't have much recoil but it's been dropped, bumped around, and just had a hard life and it's always held zero. It's not as clear as the Burris or as good in low light but it's good enough for most shooting and hunting needs and was about 1/4th the price of the Burris.

The only scope I've had I really didn't like and had issues with was a Leupold VX-I.

Last edited by hometheaterman; 01-06-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:20 AM
Spike

Yeah, my hunting buddy has a VX-1 and he loves it, but I really am not that impressed. My Nikon Buckmasters are much clearer...for me anyhow. I really think alot of it is the person using it. I know the upper level leupolds are better, but I really want to stay under $300 for a scope. Less than that with all things being the same. That is why I was interested in the Mueller. Now you have me thinking about the Simmons. My problem is this. Looking through them in a store doesn't really tell me much. That is why I am asking the people that use them.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tt4617
Yeah, my hunting buddy has a VX-1 and he loves it, but I really am not that impressed. My Nikon Buckmasters are much clearer...for me anyhow. I really think alot of it is the person using it. I know the upper level leupolds are better, but I really want to stay under $300 for a scope. Less than that with all things being the same. That is why I was interested in the Mueller. Now you have me thinking about the Simmons. My problem is this. Looking through them in a store doesn't really tell me much. That is why I am asking the people that use them.
Yeah that's my problem too. Hard to tell in a store. I'm not at all familiar with the Muller as I've never had one. However, they get great reviews.

I've had good luck with Simmons as have most of my hunting buddies. Then again at the same time I've read of people online claiming they had issues. So it may be the luck of the draw. Just seems kind of odd all my friends with Leupolds have had them go bad yet none of them that I'm aware of has had their Simmons that were half the price go bad.

Like I said the Burris is my favorite I've used. I'm sure there are probably better ones out there but I can't comment on them as I haven't personally used them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.