Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Handgun transportation question >

Handgun transportation question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Handgun transportation question

Old 01-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Spike

Default Handgun transportation question

I recently heard that it is illegal to transport and hunt with a handgun unless you are the legally liscensed owner of that gun. Isthis true? I wanted to borrow my father's revolver for coyote hunting, and am in MI.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

There are probably some variables involved. Check with DNR.

For interstate transport, check with the NRA. If you're not a member, correct that situation first.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe there's some truth there. I would call the DNR directly and ask them. I would also call the police station and ask them about the transport issue.

Tom
Old 01-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

It may also be illegal for you to hunt with a handgun if not 18.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe you can find the info you're looking for here. http://www.handgunlaw.us/

I think your best bet would be as already suggested contact the state's DNR and the police agencies.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Spike

I think It is indeed illigal to use a handgun for hunting purpose if you are not the owner. I don't think transportation kills any law
Old 01-06-2010, 04:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mathew Shreffler
I think It is indeed illigal to use a handgun for hunting purpose if you are not the owner. I don't think transportation kills any law
Actually I think it is.

Tom
Old 01-06-2010, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

in texas, as long as the pistol is concealed in your car you can carry it fully loaded...if you get out of the car with it , it has to be in plain veiw(unless yo have a concealed handgun permit then it has to be concealed.) and you cant bow hunt with a broadhead and carry a handgun.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:21 PM
Spike

Read this:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...s/firearms.pdf
Old 01-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

Michiganhunter16 -- what you heard is correct.

From the Michigan DNR website.

Statewide Handgun Regulations

The rules listed below may not apply to a person having a concealed pistol license (CPL) or a person specifically exempt by law from a CPL and carrying their handgun in accordance with their license or exemption.
  • A person must be at least 18 years of age to hunt with (possess) a handgun.
  • Handguns cannot be borrowed or loaned to another person other than provided for under the CPL.
  • While in the field, handguns must be carried in plain view. Carrying a handgun in a holster in plain view is permitted.
  • You may transport your registered handguns while en route to and from your hunting or target shooting area; however, handguns, including BB guns larger than .177 caliber and all pellet guns must be unloaded and in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms and cannot be readily accessible to any occupant of the vehicle.
  • It is a crime for certain felons to possess firearms, including rifles and shotguns, in Michigan.
  • Nonresidents must have a CPL issued by their home state in their possession in order to legally carry or transport a handgun in Michigan.

For more information regarding statewide handgun regulations, obtaining a concealed pistol license or Michigan concealed weapons and firearms laws, contact your local police department.

Last edited by wolverine72; 01-07-2010 at 06:22 PM.