Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Do you reload and do you think it's worth it? >

Do you reload and do you think it's worth it?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.
View Poll Results: Do you reload and do you think it's worth it?
I reload and it's worth it
74.14%
I reload and don't think it's worth it
5.17%
I don't reload but would like to in the future
15.52%
I don't reload and don't think it's worth it
5.17%
I used to reload but no longer do
0%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Do you reload and do you think it's worth it?

Old 01-03-2010, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Economy and quality can both be had with handloading...at the same time. Prep, size and prime your brass, toss a charge, seat a bullet, good to go (simply put). It's fast, it's easy, and way cheaper than factory. You can make it as complicated or easy as you want, though- but I've found that any ole combo I've made has outshot any factory loads. Not that I've shot a lot of factory.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:45 PM
Fork Horn

For the amount that you shoot I probably wouldn't reload unless you enjoyed the process. It seems like you see reloading as a chore instead of a hobby. I enjoy reloading so for me, not only do I get high quality ammo tailored to each rifle, it is at a fraction of the cost of factory ammo, and I get the enjoyment of reloading. The savings may be minimal if you only shoot about 100 rnds per year, but would be another story if you were like me and shot 500+ and I save no less than $0.50 per round which adds up.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
Then I also have the hassle of sitting there reloading my bullets which I really don't care for. Seems much much easier to just go to Wal Mart and pick up a box of ammo to go shoot.
Based on this statement alone, I'd recommend you take the stuff you have back and not entertain any further notions about reloading.

At its heart, reloading requires great patience and attention to detail. If you're not willing or able to apply those, you're only going to find yourself frustrated, chances are with less money in your pockets and ammunition that doesn't perform.

To really gain the most advantage from reloading, you almost have to be a frequent shooter, as well. VAByrd's right - you'll load a few lots of duds before you find something that works the way you want it to.

I started reloading to "save money", too. It didn't take me long to realize (even for a high schooler) that the economics weren't going to back me up. I wasn't particularly fond of all the time it took away from all my other interests, either. Today, I reload for the "quiet time" it gives me, and for the additional measure of performance I now know how to achieve. To me, reloading is now about controlling as many variables present in a cartridge as I can, not necessarily about saving money. Nor have I been as subject to the whims of supply and demand as have many of my non-reloading buddies, who've often complained about how Wal-Mart can't keep their preferred color of ammunition in stock over the past year or so.

Reloading isn't for everyone. It's okay if you choose not to - the deer won't know the difference. You may not, either.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:30 AM
Typical Buck

I RELOAD , not just to save money but i like the idea of putting ammo together and them killing a animal with it. i reload for
221fb
22-250
6mm
7mm-08
25-06
30-06
7mag
300win mag
303 brit
8mm-06
38spl
357mag
44mag
9mm
40sw
45acp
Old 01-04-2010, 05:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by driftrider
I just reread your post (I admit that I just skimmed it the first time), and based on that, I'd say don't bother spending the money on a handloading setup. You seem like the "instant gratification" type that doesn't have the patience to handload and would find it burdensome and unenjoyable. I'd have to say just keep buying the Federals from Walmart (while you can, since Walmart of late has taken a decidedly anti-gun tack) and live with the 2" groups. That is adequate accuracy for most big game hunting.

I, for one, find 2" groups for a small bore bolt action rifle to be entirely unacceptable. Handloading allows me to carefully taylor my ammo to my rifle, and 1 MOA or better accuracy is common and fairly easy to achieve. I don't know what vabyrd is doing, but he makes it sound like his scenario is common, but in my experience, it's not if you stick with recommended powders for your cartridge. The only time I had most of a pound of powder go to waste was recently when I experimented with Retumbo in my 257 Wby. I got some data for it from a non-standard source, and decided to try it as it seemed to be a way to squeeze another 100 fps out of the Roy without pressure problems. Turns out that it's just way too slow burning for the 257 (it's meant for the big boys like the 300 RUM and 30-378 Wby) and I couldn't hardly get anything resembling a measurable group with that powder. I loaded the remaining bullets with another powder and got sub-MOA performance right away during the ladder test. Now I have 3/4 of a pound of Retumbo sitting on my shelf with no use in sight, but it was the cost of playing outside the sandbox. I found out the hard way why none of the mainstream data sources publish loads with Retumbo for the 257 Wby.

Mike
Having reloaded over 30,000 rounds for competitive pistols, I may have a bit of a clue. As for your 2" groups, don't know where your coming from with this one. Never had a rifle that wouldn't produce sub MOA with factory pills. But then again, I shoot better than most of the average joes and don't buy junk so go figure......

I'll even go on record and say that if you can't find a factory load that won't shoot sub MOA out of a 30-06, it's the rifle and shooter. Not the ammo.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

From a strictly "dollars and cents" viewpoint, unless you are a real high volume shooter, it would take a long time to offset the intitial expense of buying reloading equipment, components, etc... For someone who is only interested in obtaining ammo to hunt with, you are probably better off sticking with factory loads..

For many of us, however, reloading is a hobby and a pastime in itself... I get a great deal of pleasure and satisfaction out of studying ballistics, trying different combinations of components and eventually working up a custom load for one of my rifles that is tailored to THAT rifle and performs well on game...

The bulk of my reloading equipment was paid for LONG ago, and at this point I can assemble ammunition from the best of components for less money than I would pay for factory loads..

My handloads shoot very well in my rifles, and part of my pleasure in hunting involves shooting game with ammunition that I have developed and carefully assembled myself...
Old 01-04-2010, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vabyrd
Having reloaded over 30,000 rounds for competitive pistols, I may have a bit of a clue. As for your 2" groups, don't know where your coming from with this one. Never had a rifle that wouldn't produce sub MOA with factory pills. But then again, I shoot better than most of the average joes and don't buy junk so go figure......

I'll even go on record and say that if you can't find a factory load that won't shoot sub MOA out of a 30-06, it's the rifle and shooter. Not the ammo.
Who are you talking to? I was commenting on the OP's statement that he, at best, gets 2" groups with certain Federal factory loads. I wasn't talking to you (vabyrd) at all, but thanks for butting in.

As for 30K rounds for "competitive pistol," whoopty-do. I've handloaded a few pistol cartridges, too, and know that loading straight walled pistol is a cinch compared to loading rifle ammo for accuracy.

Mike
Old 01-04-2010, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

My reloading equipment not including components cost me approximately $800-900. I recouped that cost in 3 years. I shoot about 15-20 weekends a year.

I agree with others, it doesn't sound to me like reloading is for you. It may take you 10 years to recoup the costs, maybe longer.

Tom
Old 01-04-2010, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I reload and think it's worth it but like anything else it depends on how much you invest.There's no need to drop a ton of money into it and get excellent ammo in return.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by driftrider
Who are you talking to? I was commenting on the OP's statement that he, at best, gets 2" groups with certain Federal factory loads. I wasn't talking to you (vabyrd) at all, but thanks for butting in.

As for 30K rounds for "competitive pistol," whoopty-do. I've handloaded a few pistol cartridges, too, and know that loading straight walled pistol is a cinch compared to loading rifle ammo for accuracy.

Mike
I believe you were the one that mentioned 2" groups as unacceptable. I'd like to hear some of your first hand accounts as to how your hunting success has increased due to handloading. Like I said its a waste of time. You clearly have plenty of it. Just learn to shoot, quit blaming it on the ammo..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.