Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Mossberg 835. Shell size for slugs? >

Mossberg 835. Shell size for slugs?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Mossberg 835. Shell size for slugs?

Old 01-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Spike

Default Mossberg 835. Shell size for slugs?

I just got a Mossberg 835 deer/waterfowl combo. My question is about the slugs I can use in the 835 with the 3 1/2 inch chamber. I read in the past that you have to shoot 3 1/2 inch slugs through it. But the slug barrel states that its chambered for 2 3/4, 3, 3.5 inch, stamped right on the barrel. I'd really like to shoot 3 inch slugs out of it if all possible. Can you guys point me in the right direction? Thanks
Old 01-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd shoot 2 3/4, never seen any real advantage to 3in to justify the recoil.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

in a 835 or any 3.5" you should shoot 3" or 3.5" slugs, buckshot, bird shot, etc. shoot whatever you like

goto www.lightfieldslugs.com and look up the reason why
Old 01-03-2010, 01:08 PM
Spike

shoot what ever you like but if 2 3/4 group well i wouldnt abuse my shoulder any more than i need to.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Spike

Ok, Thanks for your replys. I read on another thread when I did a search, that it was unsafe to shoot anything shorter than a 3 1/2 inch slug in a Mossberg 835 that has a 3 1/2 chamber. Because of the "gap" that will be there when shooting a shorter shell....Also, I will be shooting the slugs out of a rifled slug barrel. I did find on the Lightfield slugs website under FAQ that they also state that you shouldnt shoot 2 3/4 inch slugs out of a gun that is chambered for 3 1/2 inch. But 3 inch would be "ok". I'm just alittle confused.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTERCOP
in a 835 or any 3.5" you should shoot 3" or 3.5" slugs, buckshot, bird shot, etc. shoot whatever you like

goto www.lightfieldslugs.com and look up the reason why
Oh, BS! Millions of 2 3/4" slugs have been fired through both 3" and 3.5" chambers without any negative effects. The taper between the chamber and bore on a shotgun is very slight and won't cause any problems at all. Not to mention that the 835 is overbored to 10 gauge (.775") bore, so that there is no constriction whatsoever between the chamber and bore on that model shotgun.

Basically, shoot whatever length slug you want. Better yet, try a few different slugs to see which on shoots the best in your shotgun. My concern with the overbored barrel would be that if the slug doesn't obturate enough to seal the very large bore, you'll get gas leakage around the slug causing poor accuracy and worse than normal leading, but only your gun will tell you if that's a problem.

Mike
Old 01-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sewerdude
Ok, Thanks for your replys. I read on another thread when I did a search, that it was unsafe to shoot anything shorter than a 3 1/2 inch slug in a Mossberg 835 that has a 3 1/2 chamber. Because of the "gap" that will be there when shooting a shorter shell....Also, I will be shooting the slugs out of a rifled slug barrel. I did find on the Lightfield slugs website under FAQ that they also state that you shouldnt shoot 2 3/4 inch slugs out of a gun that is chambered for 3 1/2 inch. But 3 inch would be "ok". I'm just alittle confused.
You want to know why Lightfield councils the use of 3.5" slugs? Because they make a heck of a lot more money off them. The production cost difference between 2.75" and 3.5" slugs is a few pennies per shell, but they'll cost you a little over $3 a box more for a box of five, 3.5", Lightfield slugs.

I'd challenge Lightfield to produce pressure test results demonstrating any significant pressure differences between 2.75" shells fired in 2.75", 3" and 3.5" chambers. In fact, I'd wager that, despite the "gap" issue, the peak pressures with the longer chambers will actually be LOWER because of the extra freebore length. Again, I wouldn't sweat it. If you're going to shoot sabot slugs in a rifled barrel, the sabot is plastic and will easily give way long before pressure becomes a problem. The worst side effect you MIGHT see from shooting 2.75" slugs might be less than optimal accuracy. Otherwise, they are perfectly safe.

Mike

Last edited by driftrider; 01-03-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Spike

Thanks for the info Mike. I dont think I'll have a problem with the over boring thing. I got the combo 835 with a field barrel and a rifled/cantilever slug barrel with it.
I was wondering if that was the reason Lightfield was "pushing" their 3.5 inch slugs....because of cost/ more money in their pocket...Great marketing scheme huh?..... I went through my Mossberg owners manual a hundred times looking to see if it stated to only use 3.5 inch slugs in the rifled deer barrel...it only had warnings about using slugs in the field barrel.
I was at Cabelas last night to look at some 3.5, but they didnt have any..I would hate to see the price of the 3.5 inch. Salty to say the least.
This up and coming deer season "2010" will be my first in roughly 13 years with a slug gun as I've always used a muzzleloader in the past. So, I'm alittle behind on the slug world. I dont know whats good or bad when it comes to slugs.
Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited by Sewerdude; 01-03-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just for s 'n' g's I looked up Lightfield slugs at MidwayUSA. For a box of 5 shells, the 2.75" slugs cost $14.79, and the 3.5" slugs cost $17.99. And I thought that 3" turkey loads were pricey!

Mike
Old 01-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Spike

That is pricey! I think I'll go with the 3 inch slugs...dont know what brand though...Any recommendations? Like I say, Ive been out of the slug scene for awhile. I see there are a ton of different ones out there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.