HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   target stand (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/313905-target-stand.html)

s4bill 01-01-2010 09:36 AM

target stand

I am looking to buy or build a target stand.

It will need to be something that I can break down and put back together when I get to the rifle range.

The range says the target needs to be 4 ft tall at the center of the target.

I saw some plans involving wood and some using pvc pipe.
I think I read someone using a metal house for sale sign.

The pvc pipe seems to be the lightest and most portable but I am wondering if it will actually work.

Any thoughts on this?

driftrider 01-01-2010 11:22 AM

I've used PVC pipe before to make target stands. It works ok, but there are a couple drawbacks that made me stop using it. First, if you accidently shoot it, it'll shatter and destroy that entire section of pipe. If you've used PVC pipe cement to join the pipes and joints, then you're screwed because I know of no easy way to debond the joints for repairs. If you don't use PVC cement, the stand will tend to fall apart and can be a major PITA. Also, a lot of ranges will not take kindly to PVC fragments left on the range.

The second problem is that the only way to affix a target and backer is with tape or other adhesive, or by using a number of clamps. Using a staple gun, which is the fastest, easiest and my most preferred method, won't work with PVC (it'll break, see above).

Now I just use a suitably sized cardboard box with a couple thin metal posts poked through vertically to hold it to the ground. I'll also weight the box down with gravel or sandbags if necessary. But this puts the target pretty close to the ground, so it wouldn't meet the 4' high requirement (why it that requirement there anyway?).

I'd recommend to make a target stand out of the cheapest 2"x2" lumber you can get. Assemble it with carriage bolts and wingnuts on the bottom of the verticals to make it foldable or easy to disassemble for transport and storage. You can staple to wood, and the wood will generally take a few hits before falling apart.

Mike

salukipv1 01-01-2010 12:59 PM

may not work for you....but I pound conduit into the ground, one on each side....then use 1x2"s horizontally attached by duct tape....then i staple cardboard to the 1x2s

staple the targets to the cardboard...

spaniel 01-01-2010 04:01 PM

Devising a deconstructable 2X4 self-standing frame with carriage bolts should be straightforward.

I recommend using the sheet foam insulation as a backer. I mount it to the wood with drywall screws using the plastic discs that come on some type of nail made for holding such things (available at Lowes/Home Depot). You can attach targets to it VERY easily using toothpicks. And it lasts forever. My range sees a considerable amount of action, and in 3 years I've only replaced the backers once. The MLs and shotguns do a number on them, if you shoot 30cal and below they can take hundreds of rounds if you move the targets around a little.

JKody 01-02-2010 05:02 PM

I use PVC base with wood that inserts into the pipe so i can staple on cardboard and use the stick on targets to that. It works great for pistol shooting.

ajstrider 01-02-2010 05:26 PM

It has been my experience to just make them out of cheap lumber because they end up getting shot up and destroyed anyways. Some 1x2's should be fine. Wood makes them light and easily replaceable. Save up cardboard boxes and use them as backers to staple targets to.

DANTHEHUNTER 01-03-2010 05:48 AM

This is why I love election years those campange signs are the best target stands around.And most folks wont care if you remove them after the vote is over!!

Pawildman 01-03-2010 08:11 AM

I've been using a folding lawnchair for a target holder for years. Tape a piece of cardboard to the back frame and stick your targets to it. Easily folds up, and can be placed at any yardage you want. Light and totally portable. I use the aluminum tubing frame ones. The only catch in your situation is the 4 ft. to target rule. What's with that anyhow??