Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Ruger Hawkeye users.....likes and dislikes >

Ruger Hawkeye users.....likes and dislikes

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger Hawkeye users.....likes and dislikes

Old 12-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default Ruger Hawkeye users.....likes and dislikes

Thinking about ordering a left handed stainless/laminate Hawkeye in .30-06 when tax money hits.

Any opinions from users of the new Hawkeye M77 "upgrade"?

Supposed to have a little better trigger. I think the laminate stocks are now checkered where the weren't in past models.

Any opinions would be helpfull.

Accuracy, overall balance, ect.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Spike

I have one in 264 win mag with stainless barrel and syntheticstock. Its a real shooter but the triggers feel about the same as the old Mark II's but other than that I have no conplains.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

The wife has one (which I've shot a bunch) in 7mm-08. It's pretty good and getting better. When new it was stiff and gritty, but with more action and use it's definitely getting smoother. The trigger is better but still not great. It can be tweaked by a competent smith. I just installed a new recoil pad on her gun.They seem tough, durable and are a good value in my book. You could do worse.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a SS Hawkeye in 35 Whelen, the LC6 trigger while not perfect is a big improvement over the old triggers. Mine breaks clean and crisp right at about 4lb's. The changes in the Hawkeye are pretty much to reduce weight. thinner contour on the fore end of the stock and the matte finish. Accuracy wise is as can be expected with any factory rifle. Depends on the gun and the load.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:56 PM
Spike

Default Ruger hawkeye

I have one in .22-250, it is the first ruger I have owned. I did not like the trigger at all and had a Timney installed in the gun. It also took it about 100 rds before it settled in and started shooting good groups. I shoots 1/2 - 3/4 at 100 yds all day long, but it took work to get it there, I like the gun but I think I would by the Remington or the Savage if I had to do it over again. Just my .02

Last edited by swboyz; 12-25-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have one in .280 with the black stock.Shoots great,good trigger,no issues so far.Go for it!