Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Most Accurate >

Most Accurate

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Most Accurate

Old 12-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dead on
please tell me guys what is the most accurate all around rifle calibre, If you could only buy one size bullet or factory ammo. If you could own an unlimited number of rifles but there was only one caliber in the world what would it be? Thank you.
There's no answer to this question. Any caliber can be made to shoot as accurately as any other with the right work done. There is no inherent accuracy difference between the 30-06 and the 308 , nor between any other given cartridge. The only reason the 308 has a reputation for being more accurate is because a lot more folks tend to chamber more accurate rifle in 308 than 30-06. 30-06 is considered a hunting cartridge first and foremost, so most rifles chambered in it are mostly non-accurized, factory sporter weight rifles, where a sizable number of 308's are heavy barreled benchrest or varmint rigs that have had steps taken to make them more accurate. The same can be said of any other "accurate" cartridge. The 6mm-284 is regarded as a highly accurate cartridge, but one has to consider that all 6mm-284's are custom rifles, and many are purpose built for maximum accuracy. The 243 Win, on the other hand, doesn't have quite the reputation because it's mostly chambered again (relatively) inexpensive deer rifles. But if you put the same effort into building two identical custom rifles, one in 6-284 and the other in 243 Win, with the same specs for chambers, etc..., I'd wager that the 243 will be every bit as accurate as the 6mm-284.

Mike
Old 12-22-2009, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

true but..youll never get 200 yds out of that 458
Old 12-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

Awhile back I was reading about the rifle that CZ put together as a 600 yard guaranteed shooter and it was chambered for the .300 WSM which would suggest that the .300 is pretty accurate. Something that I have noticed lately is that a number of manufacturers when listing the calibers their varmint rifles are chambered for, list the .308 along with the common .22 centerfires so the .308 must be an inherently accurate round also. I've always been satisfied with my 06, but that has more to do with the vast number of choices of rifles chambered for it and ammo availiability. In all honesty though, if I ever have the chance to hunt where long range shots are common, I'd take my .300.........jr
Old 12-23-2009, 04:06 AM
Fork Horn

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-u...hunting-rifle/ it is chambered for the 300 win mag not the wsm .there is no question that the 300 is a proven leader in long range firearms either caliber wsm or win mag will be more then adequate for shooting way down range.when i was a young pup i walked back to camp with an old timer,we got to a field and he stopped and said look at that doe ,it was without any exaggeration well over 300 yards away he pulled up and i thought he was looking at it with the scope ........BOOM the doe staggered 15 yds to the edge of the woods and fell over,i said WTF where did you aim foot over her back? he laughed at me and said no i aimed where i hit her in the heart area. one week later i had a 300 win mag and have never been without one . in most areas that i hunt you cant see a deer past 150 yds.but that old field is still there,and i hope that some day i can leave an impression in some up and comers mind....in my opinion the 300 is the king of big game rifles. even though i use one of my 308s more LOL
Old 12-23-2009, 04:15 AM
Fork Horn

It all depends what your definition of accuracy is..HUNTING or BENCHREST...the good ole' 6PPC AND THE 30br win the accuracy game out to 300 without much of a problem, the 6BR wins the 300-500 game and a ton are very competive out to the 1000 yard mark...past that you get real specific with and usually the big 30's and .338 versions. FOR Hunting..it's also distance and game specific.. a good ole' 300 WM or .338 WM will take on just about anything you'd care to shoot on the continent... There's just to many variable's for this type of question...