Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Winchester M70 Customer Service (FNH) >

Winchester M70 Customer Service (FNH)

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Winchester M70 Customer Service (FNH)

Old 12-22-2009, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are several after market triggers to choose from, but a competent gunsmith should be able to do an adjustment and trigger-job on your factory trigger and it would improve immensely, so much so I think you'd love it. A good trigger job with adjustment can make a so-so trigger feel like a custom piece. Much cheaper too.

However, if you must have a different trigger they are available. Could void a warranty though.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't ask them to tell me where to get a replacement trigger. Let me explain. The "New" M70 isn't exactly an M70. The action is very different and aftermarket triggers that work on the original M70 will not work on the "New" one.

I already did have a smith re-work the trigger. It still isn't nearly as good as a re-worked Original M70 trigger. Not even close. There is a 1/2 lb of variance between the tip and the middle. Every time I pick it up it feels different.

I already called Timney and they don't make one.

Again I wasn't asking them where to get an aftermarket trigger. I was asking them what other rifle has the same action to trigger mating so that I could find a trigger that would fit. They wouldn't even tell me if the trigger to action mating is unique to that rifle or if it's a copy of something else that FNH makes.

Their stance is basically they don't give out that kind of information.

If you shoot paper you will not be happy with the trigger in that rifle. If you just use your rifle to hunt it will be swell.

Again, I'm out of the factory rifle business from now on.

Tom
Old 12-22-2009, 04:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 8mm/06
There are several after market triggers to choose from, but a competent gunsmith should be able to do an adjustment and trigger-job on your factory trigger and it would improve immensely, so much so I think you'd love it. A good trigger job with adjustment can make a so-so trigger feel like a custom piece. Much cheaper too.

However, if you must have a different trigger they are available. Could void a warranty though.
Every rifle I own has a re-worked trigger except my Ruger which has a Timney. The MOA trigger in the M70 has a leverage problem as explained to me by a very qualified smith.

Tom
Old 12-22-2009, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Is the factory trigger that bad?
It's not the most horrible trigger. But you get a bit jaded when you spent more than you should on a rifle that has advertising up the arse about the trigger and it turns out to be a dog even after spending $60 to have it adjusted.

All those morons had to do was leave the original Winchester Trigger in the rifle. Was that so difficult.

Yes I'm still pissed! Haven't beat the dog or the wife yet but if I stew long enough I'll get there. LOL.

Tom
Old 12-22-2009, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by statjunk
It's not the most horrible trigger. But you get a bit jaded when you spent more than you should on a rifle that has advertising up the arse about the trigger and it turns out to be a dog even after spending $60 to have it adjusted.

All those morons had to do was leave the original Winchester Trigger in the rifle. Was that so difficult.

Yes I'm still pissed! Haven't beat the dog or the wife yet but if I stew long enough I'll get there. LOL.

Tom

Did Timney talk like they may eventually make a trigger for it? I would think as these rifles become more popular(assuming they will) more aftermarket parts would become available.

That is the one thing I like about a Remington 700......so many aftermarket parts....especially for someone like me, who does not need to spend the money for a custom rifle.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

They didn't seem like they were going to rush to make one. They said they had a long list of triggers they were working on.

I'm going to do as BC said and call Jewel. My only issue there is I wasn't planning on spending that kind of money on a trigger.

If you're an aftermarket trigger kind of guy you're not going to be thrilled. It sucks to be particular!

Tom
Old 12-22-2009, 05:03 AM
Spike

Default Customer service

As others posted most likely manufacturer sensitive about their product, cant blame them. Before you replace the original let a gunsmith clean it up. I wanted to change mine on my savage .270 . Instead gunsmith worked on it for 20 bucks and it is a shooter...very pleased with pull !!!
Old 12-22-2009, 05:33 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by statjunk
I didn't ask them to tell me where to get a replacement trigger. Let me explain. The "New" M70 isn't exactly an M70. The action is very different and aftermarket triggers that work on the original M70 will not work on the "New" one.

I already did have a smith re-work the trigger. It still isn't nearly as good as a re-worked Original M70 trigger. Not even close. There is a 1/2 lb of variance between the tip and the middle. Every time I pick it up it feels different.

I already called Timney and they don't make one.

Again I wasn't asking them where to get an aftermarket trigger. I was asking them what other rifle has the same action to trigger mating so that I could find a trigger that would fit. They wouldn't even tell me if the trigger to action mating is unique to that rifle or if it's a copy of something else that FNH makes.

Their stance is basically they don't give out that kind of information.

If you shoot paper you will not be happy with the trigger in that rifle. If you just use your rifle to hunt it will be swell.

Again, I'm out of the factory rifle business from now on.

Tom
That sucks, I have to say, on the FN SPR I load for, its crisp, no travel, and just as good as any timney, jewell, etc I have shot.

I know by talking with you in the past, you were excited about this rifle. Hate to hear your so disappointed.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Midway says this will work on pre and post 64 model 70's.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=228165

Supposedly this Timney will work after a bit of work

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=769235

Hope that helps.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hurricanespg
Midway says this will work on pre and post 64 model 70's.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=228165

Supposedly this Timney will work after a bit of work

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=769235

Hope that helps.
Thanks for looking into this Hurricane! Unfortunately what they should say is post 64 until FNH started making them. I believe that's 2006 maybe 2007. They changed the action. So none of those triggers will work.

Thanks again.

BC,

Thanks. Yup I was very excited about this rifle. Extemely would be more like it. I still like this rifle and when there are after market triggers available I'll likely love it. Just seems for the money they could do much better. We're talking a $1k rifle here.

Tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.