Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Revolver cal question >

Revolver cal question

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Revolver cal question

Old 12-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

I assumed from your post that you want something for the dogs, but the recommendations seem to be for deer. The .44, .45LC, etc. are all good choices for deer, but these calibers are way over the top for dogs and similar size critters, unless you're shooting them at 75-100 yards. Also, ammo for these cannons is going to cost you a bunch.

I would recommend a .357. You can fire .38 special loads, both for practice and for carry (yes, I would use a .38 v. .357 for the dogs). If you want something that can be used for both dogs and deer, check your state regs.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the above poster... A .38 or a .357 is plenty for protection against dogs ..We're not talking determined attackers like grizzly bears here.. Most dogs are going to turn tail from just the SOUND of a gunshot..

The lighter weight of the .38/357 is an advantage... You are going to carry the thing a lot and chances of having to use it are slim.. I think that weighing yourself down with a heavier handgun is uneccessary...Get a decent 4" .38 or a light combat magnum in .357...
Old 12-22-2009, 05:16 AM
Spike

Another vote for a 4" .357. If I read the post correctly, you are not interested in hunting deer with the revolver, just use it for trail protection. You cna find a .357 that will weigh 32-36 ounces that will meet your needs.

Will
Old 12-22-2009, 05:24 AM
Spike

Default Handgun

Maybe the "judge" by taurus shoots .410 shot or .45 long colt
Old 12-22-2009, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn

Alot, if not most new handgun shooters are thoroughly discouraged by the blast and recoil from a .44 or .45. Full blown .357 loads also will get your full attention.
A .357 at handgun distances is certainly capable of dropping deer with the right loads, and several manufacturers make fine lever actions for them.
The .357 will be more inexpensive to practice with- more shooting time= better shooting. The .357 offers anything from .38 wadcutter target loads to heavy 180 grain (last I checked) full magnum loads, a very versatile gun. Many of the old Alaska trappers carried a .22 as a side arm, and used them on everything from bears and wolves to partridge for the pot. Like some one else mentioned, after the noise of the first shot, generally any critter is going to high tail it out of there. The more compact and easy to carry the arm, the more likely you are to have it and shoot. 100 rds of .22= 4.00. 100 rounds of .38/357 45.00 (last time I checked... I reload).
Old 12-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Spike

DocD do you reload?
Old 12-22-2009, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Get your friend's .45colt and load it up with a good medium to upper power level hollow points. Stay away from the low power cowboy loads except to practice. The Ruger will safely handle any .45colt loading. The .45colt Ruger will serve you just fine with some practice.
This is what I would do. Only because you said you could get the blackhawk at a good price.

You could then get a lever action in the same caliber. Nice to have both guns using the same caliber. I have the Marlin 1894 and Ruger both in .45.

Like mentioned, you need to purchase or load for it. All of the local stores around me only carry the cowboy action crap. I don't even practice with it. It's so low powered compared to the stuff I use, it has a different point of impact. I buy from Corbon or Buffalo Bore. I prefer the latter.

Good luck.

P.S. For the pack of dogs, I'd have used my lever gun anyway.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

If you're wanting a double duty revolver to hunt deer with and to handle sticky situations like the one you mentioned, I'd go with a double action 44 mag, something like a S&W 629 with a 4" barrel. You can use full power mag loads for hunting and milder 44 special loads for practice and general carry. Check your state regs for barrel length requirements though. If you just want something to carry for backup, not hunting, a good med frame 357 mag will be more than adequate and lighter to carry.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cubfan56 View Post
Maybe the "judge" by taurus shoots .410 shot or .45 long colt
I think the Taurus Judge would be a good one for you, load it up with some .410 buckshot loads, which are perfect for the encounter with stray dogs. It can be loaded with .45 long colt rounds too for hunting, though I don't consider it much of a hunting handgun. But it would be a great choice for the wild dogs scenario.

For hunting revolvers, I have several. All of them are single action Ruger revolvers. The .357 is a good round but is what I consider minimum for deer hunting and I would rather go with a larger revolver. The .41 magnum is nice, but there aren't a whole lot of factory ammo choices out there, but it packs more than enough punch for your deer hunting purposes. Federal loads a Barnes Expander bullet in .41 magnum that I really like. The .44 magnum is probably one of the best choices for hunting due to its large number of factory loads available out there. I am also a fan of the .45 long colt, it doesn't seem to have that heavy snapping recoil I feel with the .44 magnum, but shoots a big heavy bullet with plenty of velocity for putting down those deer like the .44 magnum. There use to not be so many factory rounds out there for the .45, but with the recent trend of cowboy shooting events really taking off, it is seeing some spark in factory loads again. I noticed that Hornady now makes a 225 grain FTX loading in .45 long colt I would like to try. There are of course larger calibers out there too, but to shoot one of those off rapidly as say a dog, would probably spark a miss.

Another option for ammo for nearly any of these revolvers, is some of the CCI shotshell ammo. It contains a large number of small bird shot. While not very lethal beyond 10 feet or so I would think, it would definately make a wild dog turn and run I suppose, and with its spread pattern may be a good choice. Maybe a variety of ammo loaded up in the revolver, shotshell then bullet, then shotshell and so on.

If you choose to go semi auto, the 10mm is about the only semi auto I consider for actual hunting purposes, but that is just me. If you do choose semi auto, check local and state laws. Here in Kentucky I believe the law states you will not have a magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds in a gun while hunting. Even if you are not hunting with said handgun, the 10 round limit still exists too.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:24 AM
Fork Horn

I personally have a 7 1/2" redhawk in 44 mag and just bought a ruger 77 in 44 mag also. I don't think a 44 would be overkill for dogs, and the 44 carbines are easier to find than some of the other calibers, but a 357/38 would certainly do the trick on dogs and even deer at close ranges. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.