Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
A better varmint rifle? .204 vs. 223? >

A better varmint rifle? .204 vs. 223?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

A better varmint rifle? .204 vs. 223?

Old 12-18-2009, 09:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default A better varmint rifle? .204 vs. 223?

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...l_R-15_VTR.asp

http://www.weatherby.com/product/rif...guard/predator

the remington comes in .204 ruger and .223rem

the vanguard in .223rem or .22-250rem

already have a .243win, just trying to get some ideas for an exclusive coyote setup.

Figure if I ever need to take long shots 300yds plus I'd have the .243, but most of the yotes would probably be much closer, so I think there's no need for a .22-250, just wondering the .204 vs. .223, more interested in the better round for my use.

Cost of ammo isn't a real issue.
I figure the .223 would be quieter with all things being equal than the .204

Also is the .204 here to stay?

Not sure the effectiveness of the .204 on coyotes up close and at distances like 300yds or more?

How accurate can a ar-15 style setup be for coyotes?

Also if getting a ar-15 would you get the remington? or some other version? if other which brand etc...?
I see the rem comes in 18" and 22" versions, just figured the 22" of the two but who knows? just seems like most varmint rifles are 22" or 26", not 18"?

my .243win is a bolt action...

Have a better varmint rifle suggestion?
Old 12-19-2009, 05:26 AM
bigcountry

I have a 204 and 223. To me 223 is better. The 204 is great for groundhogs, but is really only good for small animals. Anything over 40gr bullet, I can't get to fly well. 223 is just more versitle. If I had it do over, 22-250 would be my choice over either..

Both 204 and 223 has a range up to 700 yards. The higher BC of a 55gr of .267 of a nosler really shines compared to the low BC of a 32gr nosler .204 bullet with .21. The 223 even has more energy left at 700 yards.

I have shot my 204 at 500 and wind drift seems horrible. Worse than my calculater predicts.

Last edited by bigcountry; 12-19-2009 at 05:35 AM.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with BC regarding the .204 -v- .223, the .204 hasn't been sufficiently appealing to me to generate any interest in having one. Having both the .22-250 and .223 though, the only time I'll really prefer the .22-250 is when I want to stretch the range a bit. But if you're calling coyotes in, chances are that your shots will be up close.

I didn't check your links, but a concern when calling coyotes, which generally involves at least a bit of walking, is the weight of your setup. ARs are great for most coyote situations, but jump to a .22-250 and you're often adding a varmint-contour barrel and a fair amount of extra weight. I'm slogging through a foot or so of snow in coyote country now, so weight isn't something I like a whole lot.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:26 AM
Dominant Buck

I would rather use the .223
Old 12-19-2009, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

the .204 is perfectly addept to killing called in coyotes where most ranges are under 100 yards. I've got nearly 100 coyotes with my AR .204 so far, and still counting. Is it better than the .223, whos' to argue over such small differences. Is the .204 better at ranges over 300 yards than the 22-250, no, BUT agian if you're calling coyotes, than most shots will be under 100 yards.
As far as weight goes, my custom built AR .204 weighs 10# 4oz. and I walk further while calling coyotes than the average Joe. The weight does not bother me.
Accuracy with most of todays AR rifles is pretty dang good. And just as with any bolt gun, if you reload, you can build an accurate load.
From all the guys that I know who use the .204 for coyotes, the most popular bullet is the 35 gr. berger, but I've shot a fair number with the 40 gr. berger with very good results also. the 40's will exit sometimes, where as the 35's rarely exit. The V-Max bullets have gotten the worst feed back from every thing that I've heard and read.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Howler
the .204 is perfectly addept to killing called in coyotes where most ranges are under 100 yards. I've got nearly 100 coyotes with my AR .204 so far, and still counting. Is it better than the .223, whos' to argue over such small differences. Is the .204 better at ranges over 300 yards than the 22-250, no, BUT agian if you're calling coyotes, than most shots will be under 100 yards.
As far as weight goes, my custom built AR .204 weighs 10# 4oz. and I walk further while calling coyotes than the average Joe. The weight does not bother me.
Accuracy with most of todays AR rifles is pretty dang good. And just as with any bolt gun, if you reload, you can build an accurate load.
From all the guys that I know who use the .204 for coyotes, the most popular bullet is the 35 gr. berger, but I've shot a fair number with the 40 gr. berger with very good results also. the 40's will exit sometimes, where as the 35's rarely exit. The V-Max bullets have gotten the worst feed back from every thing that I've heard and read.
Which is better ? I like both and neither is "better" whatever that means.
TR - so far I have gotten away with using the 32 gr. Vmaxs on coyotes. Could be that I use them because I have hnudreds loaded for pds and haven't taken the time to try much else. They work and I haven't had any run offs but they can make a nasty surface wound. Longest shot this year was 130 yds. right down the throat. Going next weekend for a couple days cause they are really active about right now,
Got a buddy who comes out to shoot with me from Louisiana every year. I have watched him several times connect on prairie dogs from over 640 yds. with his Dtech .204. Plenty accurate for coyotes.......
Old 12-19-2009, 08:50 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Howler
Thats good feedback. Can't argue with results. I know I have shot a bunch of groundhogs with 32gr SST's with 30.7gr of BL-C(2). I have yet to get an exit. No kidding. Just explodes. But I find the 32gr Nosler BT to be tougher.

Might have to check out the berger.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Banned

we use a .17 to kill yotes here..maybe they are bigger there, but it sure shreds em here....never see exit wounds, but interally is a puddin bowl!!drop in their tracks...the .204 i would imagine, as i never shot one, should be ok...i do have a 223 and know it works as well...i would say a 22-250, but if it aint for you, then it aint for you. where we are we can see the yotes comin for 800 yards, and the 22-250 can reach there, where the .17 cant, or i dont choose to use it, for guys who can use it that far..
Old 12-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

What are your thoughts for a AR setup? the remington R-15? some other version? I'm thinking the .223rem sounds idea for shots under 300yds on coyotes, I'll probably never shoot prairie dogs and groundhogs etc....or at least way more often it'll be a yote.

Also aren't AR's illegal for hunting in some states? which? what about the 18" barrel vs. 22" ?
Old 12-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some states, back east, they are illigal, which I can't site off the top of my head. In AZ., you are limited to 5 rd. mags. even for predator, where as here in CO., we are limited to 5 rd. mags. for big game but no limit of rounds for predators, not that the .223 or .204 is legal for big game, but AR.'s are given they meet min. caliber restriction.
I don't know any thing about the R-15's, as mine is a D-Tech and I have zero complaints about it. I went with a 23" barrel plus compensator on the end. To get all you can get with the .204, you need the longer barrel.
No doubt that the .223 probably accounts for more predator kills during any given year, but is it the better of the two? Different strokes for different folks comes to mind.
Seeing a coyote at long range is one thing, but hitting and killing it, no matter the caliber, is a whole nother conversation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.