Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Getting a gun >

Getting a gun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Getting a gun

Old 12-17-2009, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by crm7290
Actually I get resident rates because I showed proof that I was a college student living there for more than 60 days. That was enough for proof of residency for my fishing license, just brought a bill from the school in. With my name being in the system for my fishing license I'll be ok getting residency status. It's a loop hole I guess.

And I shoot skeet with my girlfriends dad off their back porch all summer so I'll be needing it for skeet, possibly waterfoull depending on friends. I could have gone but didn't have a gun and they only brought one each down.

I been looking at 870s while I've been home. Gonna take your other suggestions and look at those. Since I'm right in cook county, seeing Chicago out my window, there is not too much for guns out here. I can probbly head out to Cabelas and look there. I know they have good deals on guns sometimes.
WhileI've bought a couple guns at Cabelas when I had credit card points and special offers, they rarely have a good price. Better off finding a Walmart that carries guns, or exploring some shops outside Chicago metro area.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

Remington 870. Best bang for the buck. litterally.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by crm7290
I know Illinois deer is slug only, or bow and muzzle loader. What about Minnesota? I know I can look at the regs but there's the chance you guys can fill me in right off the bat. Would I be able to use the shotgun to hunt in Minnesota?
It depends on where you're at in the state. Minnesota has a shotgun zone and a centerfire rifle zone. The shotgun zone is the southern half of the state. In the northern zone all firearms are legal (seasonal restrictions only).

If I were you, and you're interested in hunting more than small game, I'd get the 12 gauge. With the right slugs, you can hunt just about anything. Then get the 22LR, followed by a CF rifle, and lastly a handgun of your choice.

Mike
Old 12-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Spike

Cabelas every now and then has some good sales from what i've seen. Id be buying them in Mn most likely, maybe at fleet farm (if your near one get the deerskin gloves for 22 bucks, best deal on gloves ever). I know the walmart by my school only has muzzleloaders, so I wont be looking there.

What is a good price for an 870. And I've heard about problems with the fact that their plastic receivers? Any info?

I looked into the beneli nova, basically said there good if they are a right fit for you, watch out for a rattling forearm (or something) and that there really aren't that many parts for them.

Supposedly the Mossberg is a good gun if it fits you, but people tend to trust the 870 much much more because its been around for so long. Any insight?

sorry if im a pain in the butt with all these questions.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're looking toward a pump shotgun, then I would strongly suggest you take a good look at the Browning BPS. IMO, it's the best pump shotgun on the market today. I still regret selling mine.

Mike
Old 12-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

dont buy used if you dont need to. i would get a benneli nova pump
Old 12-17-2009, 05:42 PM
Spike

J&S gun shop in Lakeville is a great place to look for good used and new guns. I have bought 3 from them always have good deals and are willing to give good advise.Go with the 12 ga. Just my thought.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:09 PM
Spike

I was planning on going with a twelve gauge. Not too sure which kind I'm going to buy, guess it depends on the money and how it feels.

And lakevilles not too far from me. My roommates is actually from there.

You all say the benelli, any specific reasons?
Old 12-18-2009, 04:36 AM
Typical Buck

I'd go for an 870. Have had mine for years and its never let me down. I would actually look for a gun show or gun auction. Alot of time you can find great deals there especially on these two items. Mossberg 500 wouldn't be a bet either. good luck.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

benelli is way eay better than most. they make a $350.00 pump and then $1,300 bad "A" semi gun. in the end, they all are awesome, and dependable.. 870 express and mossberg are old technology.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.