Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Getting a gun >

Getting a gun

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Getting a gun

Old 12-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Spike

Default Getting a gun

Alright guys.

Heres the deal.

Im most likely going to be getting a gun this summer. I live in Illinois, go to school in MN, will have a house there all summer and school year. I wont be making the purchase until June.

Never owned a gun and am starting hunting although it will be bowhunting deer using a friends bow and practicing with it at his house.

Im not looking at breaking the bank with this. I was thinking a .22 or a 12 gauge, and going relatively cheap on it. I don't want to spend too much as Im not sure it will be used in hunting and will mainly be target practice. Possibly clays with the gfs dad and my roommate on a friends farm in owatonna

Help me out

I got my foid so no worries there.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get yourself a good used pump 12 ga. shotgun. With removable choke tubes, it would give you a lot of versatility. You could hunt everything from rabbits to deer with it. I'm guessing the price would be in the $200 dollar range. The brand would be your preference. Be advised, that a shotgun has to fit you to be able to shoot it well. When you put it up to your shoulder, your eye should be looking at the bead right down the barrel. If you have to search for the bead, its the wrong gun.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

In my opinion a decent 22 and a decent 12 gauge (i.e. Ruger 10/22 and rem 870) are must haves for anybody looking to get into hunting and shooting sports. If you ever plan on hunting with a rifle/sluggun/muzzleloader shooting a 22 religiously is inexpensive and very valuable for learining to shoot well. With a 12 gauge you can shoot clays, and easily pursure all small game, waterfowl, and deer even.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

What carpmaster said. Everyone should have a 22 and a 12ga. The question is, which do you want first?
Old 12-17-2009, 06:26 AM
Typical Buck

2 of the best to start out with, if you are looking for a nice clay gun, 12ga wingmaster, versatile and easy to "put up" when bearing down on the dreaded skeet
Old 12-17-2009, 07:05 AM
Spike

I was hoping you all could give some insight on which to get first. I know that finding a .22 would be the easiest part, and there relatively cheap in comparison to a 12 gauge. Also .22 ammo is cheap also.

Where would I go about finding a 12 gauge used?

I know Illinois deer is slug only, or bow and muzzle loader. What about Minnesota? I know I can look at the regs but there's the chance you guys can fill me in right off the bat. Would I be able to use the shotgun to hunt in Minnesota?

Also Illinois, if I wanted to hunt squirrel and I'm pretty sure rabbit too I can only use a shot gun. I most likely wouldn't hunt squirrel because I don't eat it and can't see myself getting a taste for them. So having a shotgun would do for Illinois.

Also hunter safety, I know I have to do. You can hunt a year without it in mn as long as your with someone who has it with their apprentice program. I'll probably just do that
Old 12-17-2009, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gun stores usually carry new and used firearms. If I were to have either a 22 or a 12ga, I'd rather have the 12ga first. Shots with a 22 on small game are usually within shotgun range anyways. A good pump will do the trick nicely. Some models to check out would be the Remington 870, Benelli Nova, Mossberg 500, or Winchester 1300 (if you can find one). IMO Winchester makes the smoothest shooting pump gun around, followed by Remington and Mossberg. Sorry Benelli guys, never did care for how the Nova felt
Old 12-17-2009, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

For actual field use, sounds like the 12ga would be the best first buy. A Remington 870 (Wingmaster if you can afford it) is probably the best option for a student. If you are going to hunt deer, do yourself and the game a favor and get a rifled slug barrel or at the very least a fixed improved cylinder barrel with rifle sights. No need for a scope etc, open sights are fine at shotgun ranges. Hunting deer with a bird barrel/choke and a bead is no fun for either you or the game, and clip-on sights are crap. Trust me, been there done that in my student days. You can find combo deals on this.

A .22 is great for general plinking but also for learning to shoot well. Starting out on a 12-ga with slugs is a great way to develop a flinch and other bad habits. A Ruger 10/22 is a good fun gun, but I'd also look into a CZ452 if you can swing it. They are very nice guns and more accurate.

Check the Minnesota regs! In most states, the price of non-resident licenses will turn most students away.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Definitely the 12 guage. Far more versatiole. Choke tubes would be good. I'd also get one that would allow you to put a slug barrel on it if you chose to try deer hunting.

As for finding one, check your pawn shops.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:34 AM
Spike

Actually I get resident rates because I showed proof that I was a college student living there for more than 60 days. That was enough for proof of residency for my fishing license, just brought a bill from the school in. With my name being in the system for my fishing license I'll be ok getting residency status. It's a loop hole I guess.

And I shoot skeet with my girlfriends dad off their back porch all summer so I'll be needing it for skeet, possibly waterfoull depending on friends. I could have gone but didn't have a gun and they only brought one each down.

I been looking at 870s while I've been home. Gonna take your other suggestions and look at those. Since I'm right in cook county, seeing Chicago out my window, there is not too much for guns out here. I can probbly head out to Cabelas and look there. I know they have good deals on guns sometimes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.