Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Compact, lightweight deer rifles >

Compact, lightweight deer rifles

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Compact, lightweight deer rifles

Old 12-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Spike

I have a savage model 10 in 300 win. short mag,20 inch barrel that i love. short and light weight.easy to carry.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd defintely look to a .243win or 7mm-08

above your budget...but I picked up a Weatherby ultralightweight in .243win, still learning it, but its superlight, 7lbs even with 4.5-14x44 scope on top!
Old 12-15-2009, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Dan480Man

I like the 94/336 lines of lever actions too, for light rifles.

I love my Marlin 336, with Leverevolution ammo the 30-30's good past 200 yards on deer.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

" But I'm in the process of trimming my arsenal, and want to buy a new (or lightly used) Compact-lightweight rifle for deer hunting." Now that seems alittle odd. I want to trim my arsenal and want to buy a new deer rifle. LOL Sound like the wife was looking over your shoulder. I am going to get a 308 myself.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

For about 20 years I have had a Ruger 77 Mk 11 in .308. I forget the exact name of the model, but it has an 18 1/2 inch barre. I believe it is the ultralight. I put a 1.5x5 Leopold on it. It is carried of course much more than shot, but at the same time I certainly am not handicapped in a tree stand. It certainly carries with ease all day long.I have accurately taken and made 3 base of the head/neck shots at over 180 yards. I put in a competition spring and firing pin, and a Timney trigger early on. It is a little fussy to sight in due to the very thin barrel (I wait about 10 minutes between shots), but has stayed dead on. It is all the gun I could ever want. I have a difficult time figuring out what the actual upgrades in the Hawkeye are (I guess there is a new trigger).
I would think you should be able to come up with a good used with quality glass in your price range...probably even tweek it a bit like I did. The light rifles are fussier in shooting, as they arent quite as stable a firing platform as a heavier gun, so you really want to optimize its potential.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I checked out a Kimber Montana the other day and it was a pretty sweet rig...not sure on price tho...
Old 12-16-2009, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I fondled one of the Ruger compacts at my local shop.I really liked the feel of the thing.I also fooled around with one of the compact CZ guns .It felt good also.I don't know how either will shoot.But I do know for a fact if you can get your hands on an old Remington Model 788 carbine they handle extremly well and I have yet to see one that did not shoot good.JMHO
Old 12-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
" But I'm in the process of trimming my arsenal, and want to buy a new (or lightly used) Compact-lightweight rifle for deer hunting." Now that seems alittle odd. I want to trim my arsenal and want to buy a new deer rifle. LOL Sound like the wife was looking over your shoulder. I am going to get a 308 myself.

No .. really ...! Honest! I need to off-load up to 8 rifles because of duplication. I have 6 different 6.5 X 55's and at least 2 of those will go. I have several SKS's and at least one of those will go. I have a 12 ga thats
halfway out the door. and then I have small collection of military rifles that will lose a couple of it's ranks. When I add to the list at least 5 scopes that need to go I should be able to buy the compact outfit I want and still have plenty of sprerad in my collection of hunting rifles. As a matter of fact I also have a couple pistols that can go.
It is not normally in my nature to ever sell guns, usually just buy them, but the time has come to go for a bit more quality in my lockers and trim the quantity.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:34 AM
Typical Buck

I have a model 7 in 243 and a Ruger Compact in 7mm-08 both of them shoot great... My real shorty is my TC Contender in 223 with a 16" barrell and a youth stock that I built for my son. It is 29 inches long..

If I had to choose one it would be the Ruger compact.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know the standard weight for a Savage is 6.5lbs. I've got a synthetic stocked 30-06 that weighs a little less than that, and a wood stocked .243 that is dead on that weight. I do believe both have 22' barrels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.