Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
remington 700 and scope setup. >

remington 700 and scope setup.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

remington 700 and scope setup.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default remington 700 and scope setup.

I am 90% sure i am going to go with the remington 700 in 30-06. FIgure the 30-06 because of my shoulder issues to help reduce the recoil over the mag rifles. I was wondering what rem 700 model you guys recommend and what scope you would recommend for it.
For the following.
Long range target shooting. I mean out there max rifle distance.
Hunting deer in ky and hopefully elk in a few years.
Mid to long range hunting. I want a good scope properly some where around 400.00
Old 12-11-2009, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Regarding the gun, the Sendero is probably the most appropriate out-of-the box rifle Remington makes. While the action is the same, select one of the models with an HS Precision stock (like the Sendero or the Police models). Avoid the tupperware-type stock of the SPS.

You're not going to find a good long range scope for $400. Not unless you get an awesome deal on a used one. There are some acceptable ones in the $500-$700 range but that is the low end (Bushnell 6500, Sightron, Vortex). If you are serious about long range shooting you need target turrets, side focus or AO (I recommend side focus), and a 30mm tube.

The alternative is a Nikon Buckmaster for around $300. It only has a 1-inch tube (so less elevation travel), but you could add a 20-MOA base to help some, and come out a lot cheaper. It has marked turrets though you need to take the caps off to access them.

From all of your posts I take it you're pretty new at this. Long range shooting is a lot more complicated than just buying a gun chambered in a round with the potential to get there and mounting a scope with the elevation travel to loft the bullet to the target. You also need a quality rangefinder, and you have to know how to read and adjust for the wind. You need a load that maximizes the accuracy of your rifle (likley handloaded). I highly recommend you get plenty of practice at closer ranges and work your way out before trying to shoot long and getting frustrated. This could all be accomplished with the Nikon Buckmaster mentioned above. After a couple years when you have become proficient to the range this will get you (500-700 yds) and you finish school and get a job, you can upgrade your components.

FWIW my buddy made a perfect shot on a 550 yd muley this year with a bare bones SPS in 300WM and a $270 Nikon Buckmaster scope. Two seconds later I send in an insurance shot for him with a Sendero wearing a $900 Nikon Tactical. All told he accomplished the same thing for a little over half the money; he just limited his range to 600 yds while I was looking to 900.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a PSS with an HS, and the recoil lug doesn't even contact the stock...at all! The newer Senderos aren't as nice as the older style imo...

Bigtime, what is long range to you?
Old 12-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Bausch and Lomb 4x16x50mm 4200, I can make a deal with on if you are interested. It has amazing glass but is a bit too big for what I need for hunting in the woods. Its sitting on my Medallion 270WSM right now. PM me if interested I can make it within your budget. Scope is in good shape with box and I think I have the sun shade for it. I also have some Leupy turn in "high" rings still in the package for it.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by X Factor
Sendero's are junk...though I've had more than a few,as well as VSSF's,PSS and LTR's. HS handles are easily the worst thing going,except for injection. Their ergo's are horrid and they magnify felt recoil like few others and the "bedding block" is a farce.
Why would you buy "more than a few" junk guns ? There never seems to be a shortage of people who know everything and yet still continue to do the wrong thing.
Personally I like the older Sendero with its HS stock and aluminum bedding block and mine is an out of the box long range shooter.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:38 AM
bigcountry

And to add on X's explanation, do not buy a freakin burris signature anything. Litterly has half the erector travel of a decent leupie. 30mm leupies have even more. But who wants to deal with 30mm rings. I do, I do.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:40 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by skb2706
Why would you buy "more than a few" junk guns ? There never seems to be a shortage of people who know everything and yet still continue to do the wrong thing.
Personally I like the older Sendero with its HS stock and aluminum bedding block and mine is an out of the box long range shooter.
Donors actions.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:46 AM
bigcountry

[quote=X Factor;3526819]Besides the heavily compromised erector travel,Burris do not hold zero,do not track and shifts POI horribly when zoomed.
[quote]

But wait, they made posilock. One has to ask themself why would a "glass company" need to lock thier erector in place?

I have had two and shoved them off on the first poor soul on accurate reloading I could find. I feel kinda bad about it too. Crap goes downhill.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

skb,

How else could you score a S/S barreled action,back in the day. Funny part was,I could trip the junk handles to folks like yourself who didn't/don't know any better and be a C-note into ringing the bell on a McMillan.

Funny how I always make sense,ain't it?!!?
not..........

The HS stock on mine makes it a cream puff to shoot. My son used it at age 12, in .300 Win mag to shoot his deer, elk and antelope with no significant wear and tear. No the stock would not be my first choice but for what I gave for the two I own, it suffices just fine.

I wouldn't buy a stock ...or much else from you. So, no you could not. Have to find your C note somewhere else.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey dog,

Remind me to upload the clip of me pass shooting a Booner Bear on the run,on a frozen spring day,with my Sendero STW. Pretty cool to watch him choo-choo train along,blowing hot air outta his body cavity,though of course the trip were short.

Then quiz me on how that rifle got a whole lot better after being dumped into a McMillan. Then quiz me on the 223's,22-250's,Swifts,243's,25-06's,7-08's,308's and 300Winny's shot in extrapolation,via the stock upgrade away from HS.

Then you'll wanna query on the B&C offerings,smoking HS...for starters.
The OP asks for an off-the-shelf gun and $400 glass, and right away you're comparing to dropping into a $700 McMillan stock and $1000+ glass? Not very useful advice. Sure, I could tell him to have a top smith screw a 26" Krieger onto a Stiller Tac30 action and wait the 7 months for a McMillan before topping it with a S&B but for a kid trying to put together a rig for around $1000 that's about as useful as the bad grammer in your posts, X Factor/Relentless Pursuit etc etc etc. Got banned again, eh? The HS are the best stocks on the factory guns and any stock improves with bedding.

jeepkid, you are correct the new Senderos are not as good as the old ones. Mine is the older version. Then again, NONE of the 700s are as good as they were from more than 5 years ago. For any serious long range shooter you need to be either a) lucky and get a shooter off the rack, or b) consider it a starting point to build/accurize from.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.