HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Marlin 336 30-30 scope issue and scope or no scope? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/312150-marlin-336-30-30-scope-issue-scope-no-scope.html)

joker80p 12-10-2009 10:50 AM

Marlin 336 30-30 scope issue and scope or no scope?

I bought a marlin 336 30-30 a few months ago, came with a simmons deerfield 3-9 on it with see thru mounts. When i finally got out to shoot it, the scope was off, about a foot high 6 inches right. I had a bad feeling about the scope though, because moving the variable power it clicked or wanted to get stuck around 5, so i took the caps off and i noticed that the windage adjustment was screwed almost all the way in to the left, so i moved it about 2 clicks and the bullet droped about a foot and a half and was 4 inches left. Any ideas? bad scope?

Also, the scope seemed too high for good cheek placement, and where i hunt i really shouldnt need to take a shot i couldnt make with open sights. Not to mention i get my father in law saying, "a 30-30 shouldnt have a scope on it" So what do you think about going open sights?

skiking 12-10-2009 11:30 AM

see through mounts are junk and your scope probably is too. Either go open sights or put a peep on it for a little more precision.

A 30-30 with a scope is an abomination!:rock:

BIG.PAUL 12-10-2009 11:34 AM

put on some good open sights and give her hell. that is what that gun was made for anyway.

Camosteel 12-10-2009 12:33 PM

Open sights on a 30-30 just seems natural, I killed my first deer with that set up. However, I have in the 24 years since that time put a scope on mine. I just simply prefer a scope over open sights. Get rid of the over/under mounts though, they do create a cheek weld problem for most.

joker80p 12-10-2009 04:13 PM

Ok.. Next question, what are some good open sights for this gun? and where can i get them? i have heard alot of good thing about peep sights, anyone have experience with them on this gun?

Sheridan 12-10-2009 04:30 PM

For me, lever guns don't have scopes (period). Oh yea, IMO.

adam11082 12-11-2009 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sheridan (Post 3526240)
For me, lever guns don't have scopes (period). Oh yea, IMO.

Agreed! Although with the hornady ammo, it has the potential to be a long range shooter. I still use core-loks 170gr and am deadly with it. I would try Skinner Peep Sights. I have shot a .30-30 with them and was good beyond 100yds.

statjunk 12-11-2009 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by joker80p (Post 3526222)
Ok.. Next question, what are some good open sights for this gun? and where can i get them? i have heard alot of good thing about peep sights, anyone have experience with them on this gun?

Check out Williams Gun Sight. They make an affordable very high quality sight.

I really like a rear ghost ring with dots on each side for a lever gun or shotgun. Just feels faster to me. They have those too.

Tom

Phil from Maine 12-11-2009 04:40 AM

For me I have a Marlin Glennfield 30-30 and I love my tip-off scope mount on it. The scope helps me get a little more range out of it. The tip-off allows me to use my sights when I want to and for closer shots. With the arc in the 30-30 if gives me the best of both worlds. For as far as the see threw scope mounts i tried that route and it was no good for me. I discovered after shooting it for a while it developed a hairline crack on it that threw my shots something terrible. So I went with the tip-off and I have to make sure it is locked down before shooting.. IMO this gives you the best of both worlds in a 30-30...

UncleNorby 12-11-2009 07:39 AM

Peep sight. Either Williams or Lyman. End of story.