Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Modern Hornet >

Modern Hornet

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Modern Hornet

Old 12-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stalkingbear
All you have to do is fireform factory hornet ammo in a K hornet chamber and you have a "modern" hornet. You'll then enjoy longer case life, up to 200fps more (depending on load), usually better accuracy overall, much less finicky about loads, easier extraction. Every hornet I have I've rechambered to K hornet. I remember trying to work up an gilt edged accurate load would drive me crazy with the regular hornet. The K hornet is MUCH easier to work up a load for. Check the K hornet out.
Have you had any sucess loading it down to match the original Hornet? I don't want increased velocity or noise, but case life and consistent acceptable accuracy would be nice.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had great success loading it down to hornet velocity and even down to .22 magnum velocity. It REALLY woke up a particular hornet (Ruger 77/22 hornet) that I was ready to give up on. Upon rechambering (and just a little load development) it went from a 1.5moa at best to just under 1/2 moa. 11.8 gr of AA1680 under a 40gr Nosler Ballistic tip turned out to be the magic combo where before rechambering it didn't like that load-screwy I know but I still have the rifle and targets to prove it. Keep in mind that prior to rechambering I had already "accurized" the rifle and it was still finicky on loads. The success is due to the shoulder IMO as nothing else was changed but the chamber. It also reduces backthrust as well.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stalkingbear
I've had great success loading it down to hornet velocity and even down to .22 magnum velocity.
Thanks for the information. Next time I see a good quality Hornet at bargin prices I'll pick it up and rechamber it to see what happens. Occasionally a Ruger Hornet will be offered for a very reasonable price after the original owner shoots it for a while and gives up.
Some of the people that live near to my property don't hunt or shoot. They are nice people and it is good to keep the the neighbors happy.
I do wish that some rifle manufacturer would design a truly modern rimless cartridge with Hornet velocities in mind. A mild and accurate .22 centerfire might be a hit with turkey and mid-range varmit hunters.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:31 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
Although I appreciate the humor that was obviously intended - the .204 is not the answer. The .204 is the answer to the question "what is a cartridge that was designed for no apparent purpose other than gun sales". The .204 is fast, loud, and not an improvement on the .22-250 or .220 Swift.
The concept of the Hornet is not to be super fast or powerful - but to be just enough with no waste. Maybe this concept is alien to guys these days - and that is a great loss. There is no "Modern Hornet" - I just wish there was.
Actually, it most certainly is an improvement. It has better ballistics, better downrange ballistics due to more aerodynamic bullets, less recoil, cheaper ammo, and less powder if you handload. It also fits into actions like the cz527.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had great success with my NEF .22 hornet. The NEF has a 1-9 twist rate, after a trigger job and hanloads it does under an inch anyday of the week.
I loaded with 13.2 gr lil gun and 50 gr nosler balistic tips, or 45 gr hornady's.
They both impact identical at 100 yds.
Killed a bunch of deer and hogs with it. Earhole the hogs and I neck shoot the deer. Everything has went straight down.