Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Stainless barrel performance >

Stainless barrel performance

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Stainless barrel performance

Old 12-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Spike

Default Stainless barrel performance

Is it possible for a stainless barrel to rust or do some rust and some dont depending on the quality? I need an all weather barrel and i first thought stainless but then i heard somthing about stainless barrels rusting and i thought they didnt and thats why there called "stainless".
Im confused please help.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:44 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by 220swift
Is it possible for a stainless barrel to rust or do some rust and some dont depending on the quality? I need an all weather barrel and i first thought stainless but then i heard somthing about stainless barrels rusting and i thought they didnt and thats why there called "stainless".
Im confused please help.
oh yea, got to stay away from those stainless barrels. Had one rust to dust once in one rain storm. But man, those blued CM barrels you can stick in salt water.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by bigcountry
oh yea, got to stay away from those stainless barrels. Had one rust to dust once in one rain storm. But man, those blued CM barrels you can stick in salt water.
I know,my 10-22 has a stainless barrel,got a little wet,it wus gone!!!
Old 12-08-2009, 02:51 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by 13pointjomc
I know,my 10-22 has a stainless barrel,got a little wet,it wus gone!!!
It happens. You come back with only a stock and a scope.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-19-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by bigcountry
It happens. You come back with only a stock and a scope.
Stainless scope,got it too!!!!Dangit!!!!
Old 12-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 220swift
Im confused please help.
All steel can rust but stainless will take much more abuse before getting to that point...
Old 12-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

On this web site I guess you should just ignore all of the mean spirited, silly, or poorly informed posts. It looks like a couple of the local wits are trying to have some fun at your expense. Stainless steel is capable of rusting but it does a good job of resisting rust. Cleaning the gun regualrly will keep it in good shape. Try not to leave it outside all winter or dunk it in saltwater but most other things will not bother it.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can tell you the Stainless Steel (Exterior) of a rifle barrel can easily be cleaned with #000 Steel Wool and Light Gun Oil. There are many that believe that Stainless Steel cannot rust when in fact it can and oxidation is also common on the surface area of Stainless Steel Firearms.Most Stainless Steel rifle barrels are "Bead Blasted" with tiny particles of abrasive to make them non-light-reflecting as part of the manufacturing process and this surface is deeper than most realize. Certainly if you don't take proper measures on anything it will not last as long.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stainless = Stains' less

Only way to fly IMO.....................!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.