Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
i give up no more never again. >

i give up no more never again.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

i give up no more never again.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default i give up no more never again.

Ok i have bounced back and forth from hating gander mountain to liking them. Seems one trip they screw me over or do something stupid the next trip great service, great help, good price. When i bought my muzzy they where no help would not match anyone and changed there price three times. But when i bought my stuff for it powder, bullet and such. They had the best price on the stuff and was a big help even exchanged pellets for powder when they normally will not.

Well when i bought my ruger 10/22 there 6 months ago the mess it up. The price was high about 229.00 for the wood stock. But they mounted the scope and rings for free. I had them do it as i wanted to make sure it was done right. Ya right.
I bought a bsa scope for it which i thought was my issue. Well i was shooting it when i got it dead on just with bore sighting. 50 rounds later it is off. Well i figured it need cleaned. Next time still off low to the right alot. I could aim at the med. size shoot and see and be on the right bottom corner. Shot it about 4 times in a month and put it up. Hunting season came and i had not shot it and wanted to do some squrrial hunting with my cousin so i went to the range the other day to fix it. I forgot my targets but it was pretty close i hit a 2 liter bottle 8 out 10, 7 out of 10, 10 out of 10. Three mags 70% to 100% hits. I went today with the shoot and sees. It was low and right again. Odd i thought. Took about 50 round to work it back to center. I had it dead on got 10 shots all good just about 1 inch right. 2 inchs on the next group. After that they went to 4 inchs then to the bottome right corner again or off the target. I looked it over and notice something. The base was scraped about a 1/2 inch wide behind the front ring. It seems the rings where moving about 1/2 or so on the base. It would be almost off or right where it was. It also seems the scope was moving inside the rings. I swear i was ready to throw the dam thing.
Now i give up I will not buy another thing from them unless it is a must. This cuts the cake and burns it. i am done with them. You would think they could mount a scope right.

I do have a question. This was my first scoped rifle since i had a 30/30. How much force do i want on the bolts on the rings base mount and the scope mount.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't have a torque screwdriver to give ya any figures...but "real snug" is what I'd say semi-permanent loc-tite or nail polish can help keep things from getn loose on you. Shame on gander, but setting a scope where you want it and tightening some rings is an easy fix.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:21 AM
Spike

It could be a scope issue, it could just be the inaccuracy of the 10/22. As I've said before, I had a 10/22 for a few months and I ended up trading it off because it was just wildly inaccurate. I never could dial it in to produce consistent results and that was with a Simmons scope that cost almost as much as the rifle.

I have since moved the scope to a Marlin 795 and it shoots very nice groups and has held it's zero since the first time I sighted it in, so I now can verify the scope and the rings were not the issue.

Personally, from my experience and what I've read on this and other forums, accuracy with the 10/22 is a hit or miss proposition. There were many others who had the same experience I did with an inability to get a 10/22 to shoot any better than softball sized groups at 50 yards regardless of scope or ammo used. Others had better results.

I think the popularity of the 10/22 is largely do do with the ability to pimp it out with so-called "tactical" accessories to make it look cool. If accuracy is your goal, I think there are many better options for the same or less money.

Grouse
Old 12-07-2009, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by The Famous Grouse
It could be a scope issue, it could just be the inaccuracy of the 10/22. As I've said before, I had a 10/22 for a few months and I ended up trading it off because it was just wildly inaccurate. I never could dial it in to produce consistent results and that was with a Simmons scope that cost almost as much as the rifle.

I have since moved the scope to a Marlin 795 and it shoots very nice groups and has held it's zero since the first time I sighted it in, so I now can verify the scope and the rings were not the issue.

Personally, from my experience and what I've read on this and other forums, accuracy with the 10/22 is a hit or miss proposition. There were many others who had the same experience I did with an inability to get a 10/22 to shoot any better than softball sized groups at 50 yards regardless of scope or ammo used. Others had better results.

I think the popularity of the 10/22 is largely do do with the ability to pimp it out with so-called "tactical" accessories to make it look cool. If accuracy is your goal, I think there are many better options for the same or less money.

Grouse
You must have got a bad one. Mine shoots about 1-1.25" groups at 50 yards with Winchester Super-X ammo. If it didn't shoot realy great, aftermarket barrels are a dime/dozen for the 10/22, drop right in with no gunsmithing, and can be as accurate as any custom CF rifle to the limits of the 22lr cartridge.

Mike
Old 12-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

My guess is that you used the scope mount that comes with the gun. It is a piece of junk, I had the same problem with mine. To solve the problem short term I used a center punch to upset the metal at the front of the mount so that it would prevent the scope rings from moving forward from the recoil. What you need to do is buy a picatinny rail or even a weaver mount that is 7/8" full sized and not the tiny 3/8" .22 sized rail. You'll need to buy regular weaver rings for the scope, $7 at Walmart. When you mount the rings to the base, hold the scope forward so that the screws in the rings contact the front of the slot. Picture the rifle recoiling and with the gun moving backwards, you want the base to already to be in contact with the rings. Check out these e-bay auctions to see what I'm talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/UTG-RUGER-10-22-...item5ad554053a

http://cgi.ebay.com/WEAVER-PICATINNY...item2557879f18

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ruger-10-22-1022...item1c0e6020df
Old 12-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't trust anyone to mount my scopes, learn to do it yourself...
Old 12-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by driftrider
You must have got a bad one. Mine shoots about 1-1.25" groups at 50 yards with Winchester Super-X ammo. If it didn't shoot realy great, aftermarket barrels are a dime/dozen for the 10/22, drop right in with no gunsmithing, and can be as accurate as any custom CF rifle to the limits of the 22lr cartridge.

Mike
Yes, that is probably true that I got a bad one. But the problem is that most buyers aren't in a position to try 3 or 4 different 10/22s and then choose one that has acceptable accuracy. I've never seen the logic of adding custom barrels to the 10/22 because when you add the cost of the base rifle + the cost of a custom barrel, we are then into the price range where you could have just bought a much better and more accurate rifle in the first place.

I don't want to take this off topic and it's totally correct to start with the scope and mounts. My point was that the wildcard in this may be the fact that you cannot assume the 10/22 is a tackdriver and therefore the problem has to be elsewhere.

Grouse
Old 12-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

It ain't as tough as one might think to work on a 22...
Old 12-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
I don't trust anyone to mount my scopes, learn to do it yourself...
Exactly. And next thing I'd do is throw out that BSA scope.
Simmons makes great 22 scopes but BSA doesn't make anything worth a crap.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

bsa scopes keep things interesting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.