Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Broke my Thompson Center New Englander barrel help!? Please? >

Broke my Thompson Center New Englander barrel help!? Please?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Broke my Thompson Center New Englander barrel help!? Please?

Old 12-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Spike

Unhappy Broke my Thompson Center New Englander barrel help!? Please?

I took out my old Thompson Center New Englander today to get it ready for muzzle-loader season. Mind you it has not been shot or used in 4 years. So I took it all the way apart and was getting rust off the parts and what not and i worked my way to my barrel i took it off the stock and took the dowel (may be wrong term) out. I then took the nipple off and went to take the breech out and it was froze (stuck). I then proceed to put it in the vice and started trying to remove it with a wrench and kroil and as i was putting preasure i broke the bar off that holds the dowel. So my question how can i get that back on and how can i get the breech off? Please help thanks!
Old 12-06-2009, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why is there rust on the gun to begin with? You do realize that a firearm must be periodically maintained even when not used, otherwise it can rust.

I'm not really sure what part you're referring to when you say "the dowel." Are you talking about the ramrod? I'm not familiar with the New Englander specifically, but I suspect you're talking about the part under the barrel that the ramrod is held against. If so, I'm pretty sure that if you broke it off, you're going to have to take it to a gunsmith or send it to T/C to be repaired. As for the breech, if the breech is like my White Mtn Carbine, then there is no removable breechplug, just a hook like stud that extends from the back of the barrel to secure it to the stock.

Take so pictures detailing what you were doing and what you (think) you broke, and we might be able to help you better.

Mike
Old 12-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Spike

thanks and i know there should be no rust on a fire arm but this gun was my papaws that got cancer so it was in storage for quiet some time before i could get my hands on it. i am going to try to take it to a gun smith tomorrow cause i really think i am getting myself into some thing more than i can handle. if he tells me some thing i can do at home i will post pictures of what i broke and what not. you was right its a ramrod sorry im new to the whole hunting scene. thanks for the reply though
Old 12-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Spike

guys i was starting to think before i go to the gun smith and get this looked at. does any one know if the breech or what i believe to be the breech come off this gun? im talking bout where the nipple is and where there is a hook like thing that hooks.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Spike

Tholliday - Sorry to hear about your grandfather. Let's get this gun up and running so you keep your memories! Yes, the breech plug section of the gun can be removed, but my question to you is why? In a traditional cap-lock muzzle loader there is really no reason for you to remove the breech unless you needed to replace it due to a broken off nipple bolster. Get a breech scraper attachment for the ramrod and scrape the bottom of the barrel if you are concerned about carbon or black powder residue build up. Now as for the "ramrod thimble", they are held on to the barrel with a screw. If you can back the old screw out T/C can send you a new thimble and screw, or you can replace it with one designed to hold a sling swivel.
I recommend you forget about taking out the breech plug, it is not worth your trouble. It is very likely rusted in place and would require heat to break it loose. I have owned a T/C Renegade .54 for 30 years and never taken my breech plug out.
I also recommend you read this - http://www.tcarms.com/assets/manuals/current/Shooting_TC_Side_Lock_Black_Powder_Guns.pdf
If you broke the ramrod, replace it with a fiberglass or aluminum one anyway which I recommend anyway.
Call T/C Customer Service - (603)-330-5659
Old 12-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default Barrel lug

I believe he is speaking of the barrel lug for the wedge pin that he has brokenoff in the vise. These are brazed/silver soldered on and would have to be rebrazed/silver soldered to repair it correctly. Hope that helps you tholliday
Old 12-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Spike

Thanks a ton guys buccaneer you hit the nail on the hed bro. I got the gun together and im going to tac weild the ramrod thimble back on and then clean it as well as i can and then hopefully im off hunting thanks guys.