Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Has your rifle ever failed? >

Has your rifle ever failed?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Has your rifle ever failed?

Old 12-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scope and mount failure. Good luck.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Big Z
va,

Love my 25-06, 700ADL, very attractive and accurate rifle. My dad got it back in the 70s, under an inch is a walk in the park for that gun.
My brother had the same gun, same time period in 30-06. Traded it for a Thompson Contender (which he kept a grand total of 6 months)...Same deal as yours..

At least I was smart enough to nab the VxII before it was sacrificed for the Thompson....
Old 12-05-2009, 02:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Of Course
I've failed Salvages,Rugers,Winnys,Weatherbys and a Sako TRG-S.

Have broken alotta glass too.

theres your problem... you should have stuck with a M700 and iron sights.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

Fox was after my chickens one evening. Grabbed an 870 and a few shells, loading on the way out the door. There he stood over a pile of feathers which was, of course, one of my roosters. Threw the gun up. CLICK. Jacked another one in, but that time he was on the run. Got a bang that time but either missed (likely) or the 7.5s I had grabbed were ineffective. Later examination proved the Hoppe's #9 I used to scrub up the trigger group had dried and gummed, slowing down the hammer. The first 'shot' freed it up so the second went off.

The rest of the fox story: A few days later my wife spotted him heading off the neighbor's place, toward the road. I ran across the road with an SKS and waited. Along he came and I lit his world up. As near as I could tell I never hit him, but he hasn't been back.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Fork Horn

Probably 9 years ago a big buck came in, I was using a Knight MK-85 (during modern gun). I think he heard me climb up because he came in really looking hard at everything. 20 yards and 20 minutes later missed. Oh, I can shoot pretty decent but I was really questioning my skills at the time. A week later at the range, shot 1 in the bull (centered & really was question my shooting skills) 2nd shot about 18" off, scope had come loose, made me feel better that at least there was a reason. Now with a bow, caught my sights on some brush and didn't realize it, missed that one too.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Fork Horn

my mossberg 500 has jammed every single time i shot it for the last 16 rounds. i guess its my fault for mixing canadian (lakefield) parts with usa made parts, the specs just seem to be a little to different. ive also had my old weatherby vanguard jam up alot. had the safety feeze shut on it to but thats also my fault. my .303, 10/22 and cooey .22 are the only 3 guns i can count on every time i pick them up.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

My Ruger 77 Mk 11 failed to fire a round, indented the primer. I replaced the firing pin and spring with competition replacements and never had another problem. The rifle failed to go off one other time, but fired fine after I chambered a round. OOOPS!
Old 12-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have never had a rifle problem interfere with a shooting opportunity. I see there is some lattitude being taken in answering, however, so I'll mention a few hang-ups I've experienced that were benign.

I had my sling release my rifle and the barrel hit the ground as a result (operator error attaching the sling in the dark). I swapped this out for an alternative rifle that was handy to hunt with that day. I checked the barrel out that night, cleaned the barrel out of abundance of caution, no harm done to rifle (it was a pretty gentle hitting of the ground, cause I caught the rifle as it was coming free).

I had a bolt on a Springfield action come open and jack the unfired .25-06 round out onto the ground. After that I keep my arm sort of locked over the bolt to prevent it sweeping open.

I have had rounds not feed into my .30-06 Springfield on reloading at the rifle range. Glad I wasn't facing down a bear charge. This is a rare happening, but it has happened more than once.