Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Does your Wal Mart have Federal Power Shok ammo instock? >

Does your Wal Mart have Federal Power Shok ammo instock?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Does your Wal Mart have Federal Power Shok ammo instock?

Old 12-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Does your Wal Mart have Federal Power Shok ammo instock?

So I only have found one WalMart out of the many I go to that even carries the Federal Power Shok ammo. The haven't had it that I've seen in months. Not sure if they don't get it in or if they sell it as fast as they get it in. I decided to call around today and see if any others within 50 miles had it. I had a few tell me they carried it but didn't have it right now. I was looking for 30-06 ammo and that's what I asked about.

My question is in other area's do many carry it? Do they actually have it instock? Is this something I can expect to find when hunting season is over or is it rare for WalMart to get shipments of it in?
Old 12-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Spike

Finding any particular brand of ammo at any particular store at any given time has been hit or miss in my experience. Mostly miss.

I don't want to get into the whole "who do we blame it on" thing, the bottom lines is that I'd buy it when and where you see it and I wouldn't hold out waiting for any particular factor ammo to become available.

Grouse
Old 12-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I haven't seen any in probably 6-7 months in 30-06. I saw some in .270 about 2 months ago but I don't have a .270. I'm hoping to find some. I can't figure out if they just never get it in or if they just sell out before I get there. Doesn't seem like it would sell out all that quickly as the Remington and Winchester doesn't seem to.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

My local WalMart had some but it was back in late September.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Save your money...load your own.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Z
Save your money...load your own.
I'm seriously considering getting a reloading setup as my Christmas Present. However, at the same time I'm not sure if I want to deal with it or not. I know a couple guys who either have reloading setups or have used them in the past that now prefer to just go buy ammo instead of reload it. Seems like it's kind of a hobby that you have to put a decent bit of time into. I just don't know that I have the time for another hobby. I also don't want to spend $100's on powder, primers, and bullets until I find a setup that my guns like.

I want to get into it on one hand but on the other I don't know that I have time to start learning how to reload nor the money or time to play around with different setups when I know what factory bullets my guns like.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

It oughtn't be hard to find a load that shoots at least as good as factory. Heck, my first batch ever, I picked a random combo from a free data manual, eyeballed the length with a ruler, and tossed a 3/8" group. Learning is easy. It can be very simple. And with something like a Lee Anniversary kit, it's inexpensive to get started.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

So on average how long does it take to load up a few boxes of ammo?
Old 12-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
So on average how long does it take to load up a few boxes of ammo?
My local Walmart doesn't carry Federal rifle or pistol ammo at all, just Remington and Winchester. The do have Federal shotshells in the 100 round value packs target loads.

If you start handloading, you won't regret it.

As for how long... well, that depends on your setup and how much effort you put into the details, really. Not factoring in one-time case prep stuff that I do with all new brass, and not counting the time spent actually running the case tumbler, I suppose it takes me about 2 hours to load 50 rounds of rifle ammo, start to finish, but I do a few things that aren't strictly necessary because I'm handloading for quality, not quantity. Equipment is a factor, too. I use a single stage press (RCBS Rockchucker), which takes more time than a turret press because you have to change dies between steps. An automated progressive press is the fastest method, but they tend to be complicated and setup is critical, so not really for a beginner. I use an electronic scale which is faster and easier to use (IMO) than my beam scale, but since I weigh and trickle every charge to within 0.1 grains, that takes more time too. Some folks just get their powder measure set to throw their desired average charge and then just charge the cases straight from the measure weighing only one every few throws to make sure nothing's changed. If I didn't take the extra steps I do, I suppose I cold probably easily double my rate of production while still being safe. But I would rather spend 2 hours making great ammo than one hour making ammo that isn't any better than factory fodder. Again, quality over quantity.

Mike
Old 12-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have a case tumber. That'd be a magnificent time saver...get one if you can I hafta clean each case individually which SUCKS.

I'll put this very simply:
Let's assume you do have a tumbler...just take your tumbled brass out, make sure they all look okay-- set 'em up and spray some case lube on them. Run them through your sizing die. Prime them with your priming tool. Set your powder measure and start throwing charges, then set your seating die and start loading bullets up. If I already have my brass cleaned (like I said, no tumber, takes me forever to get 'em shiney) I can have a batch of 50 sized, primed and loaded in an hour. The way I look at it, anything I roll out is at least as good as average factory loads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.