HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Remington XCR opinions...... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/311465-remington-xcr-opinions.html)

schoolcraft 12-03-2009 09:39 AM

Remington XCR opinions......

I currently have a left handed Browning Stainless Stalker in 7mm. Rem. Mag.
While the rifle is very accurate and balances well, I'm just not as impressed with the build quality of the Browning as much as the Rem. 700.
The bead blasted stainless barrel and receiver on the Browning S.S. is nice, but the bolt, trigger guard, and floorplate just look like they've been spray painted silver to me. I can't really find any flaws in how the rifle WORKS.....but it just LOOKS kinda' cheap to me.

So....I'm looking at the Remington 700 XCR in a left handed model or possibly even the Remington CDL and then have the metal work weatherproofed.

Do any of you folks think the bolt and receiver of the 700's look and feel at little better built also?

Just trying to get some opinions.

driftrider 12-03-2009 12:04 PM

The weatherproofing on the XCR is really only beneficial if you hunt in EXTREME conditions and/or are too lazy to take 10 minutes out of the hunting day to perform the necessary preventative maintenance to your weapon. In the Corps, we cleaned our rifles before we ate, because a dirty weapon will get you killed faster than starvation. In the hunting field, it's not a difficult thing to carry a bottle of CLP and a small cloth to wipe down your rifle every day. A standard stainless steel rifle will not rust if maintained daily.

That said, the XCR is a nice rifle, but for most, the extra cost for the Nitrile coating is an unnecessary expense. The standard stainless barreled action is durable enough for most hunters.

Mike

schoolcraft 12-03-2009 04:15 PM

Thanks Mike

You're right about the standard stainless model being adequate.......but Remington doesn't make it in a left handed model. This lefty thing really gets old sometimes! Lol.
Also, as much as I hate to admit it.....sometimes I am pretty lazy in my gun cleaning/maintenance.
Just looking for something as "forgiving" as possible if I miss a cleaning here or there.

skeeter 7MM 12-03-2009 08:34 PM

I don't know my browning bolts have always felt silky smooth and while I do prefer the 700 bolt for simplicity I certainly can't say the same about them in this regard. The 60 degree throw on the browning has appeal, mounting glass (eye piece issues with some and the 700 causes one to sometimes go up in ring size). I hate the floor plate/detach mag no bones. Trigger wise the browning with a aftermarket spring installed and some tweaking can be made to work very well. Function wise both have been great but I do prefer the 700. Sounds like you do as well. In that case your only off the rack option is a XCR for ss finish..if you can find one!

Everything you like about the 700 is their in the XCR it boils down to the stock, which can be changed if you hated it. I'm sure it could be used as trade bait at a smiths or online???

G/L

700xcr 12-06-2009 05:31 PM

I have the Remington 700xcr in 270wsm and would not trade it for anything else. Stainless will still scratch and the The coating on the xcr as been in a fall over rocks and does not scratch. tough stuff.

bugsNbows 12-07-2009 03:30 AM

Sorry, Rems don't ring my bell.