Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Cheap .22's... >

Cheap .22's...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Cheap .22's...

Old 11-30-2009, 12:40 PM
Typical Buck

I have both and they're both ok if you want just a plinking toy. If you can swing it, its definately worth goin for the 10/22. If not, then go for the marlin 60
Old 11-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by jeepkid
True...but would only have to do it once...

So back to the original question...Savage/Marlin .22's?
I have had a 795 stainless for the past 2 years. I think it's a great .22 for the price. The trigger is ok, I'd prefer a little lighter of a pull, but I think liability concerns would make this comment fall on deaf ears as far as Marlin is concerned.

Like many .22s it has a decided preference as far as the ammo that it will shoot the most accurately. It cycles everything I've ever fed it however, I've never had any problems with jamming and I'm sure I have shot thousands of rounds through it.

I'm sure you can get more accuracy by paying more, but I don't require tack driving accuracy in a .22. With the right ammo, my Marlin will easily shoot golf ball sized groups all day long at 50 yards and that's plenty good for me.

I have never been impressed with the 10/22 and I'd take the 795 over the 10/22 any day of the week and twice on Sundays. The 795 easily beats every 10/22 I've ever shot as far as accuracy and the worst of the 10/22s was the one I owned for a brief period. No amount of tinkering with ammo would make that gun shoot anything better than tennis ball sized groups at 50.

Grouse