Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Why do so many hate the 30-06? >

Why do so many hate the 30-06?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Why do so many hate the 30-06?

Old 11-29-2009, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
News to me, Ive always thought it was the most respected and widely used big game cartridge ever.
x2
You guys can keep your macho magnums, I'll keep my 30-06 as my go to gun and can drop anything you can in N.A.

Bobby
Old 11-30-2009, 07:13 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Dan480Man
I don't think anyone hates it, per se. It's like what someone said above, everyone has one. 92 on the *yawn* factor.
Everyone respects it, it just doesn't "grab" you like a "Super short action belted long magnum improved westerner +p".
Anything new and odd sounding gets the oohs and ahhs at the gun counter and camp food trough.
I think this sums it up perfectly.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pale White Cracker
As will a 7-08,308 or a plethora of others.

Great time to brag up the particular '06 you are shooting,muse particulars and perhaps mull bullets and downrange performance.

You hit the pipe early this morning.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hate the 06? I have several different rifles to hunt with, but the last one I would ever part with would be my 06. The 06 is one of the most versatile calibers on the market and has proved this for over 100 years now. Its the standard which all calibers are judged on. A wide variety of bullets sizes to chose from and ammo that can be bought any place that sells ammo. Not finicky to reload with very good accuracy. Jack of all trades but master of none. Not hardly the 06 has mastered just about everything. For medium size game I think you would be hard pressed to find a better caliber than the 06. I don't use mine as much as I use to, but thats because I just wanted to try some different calibers. I have a rem 700 that I bought 29 years ago, my wife uses a ruger m77 that I bought her 10 years ago. Those two rifles will stay in my gun safe from here on out.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Spike

Personally, I think it's just down to the fact that some will always be attracted to shiny new things and that applies to guns as well. Being the 06 has now celebrated it's 103rd birthday, there isn't much shiny and new about it, but some things stand the test of time because they work and work and keep on working.

Even 103 years later, the 06 is still a very, very versatile caliber with tremendous performance in a wide variety of situations. I have to differ with anyone who uses that tired old line about it being the jack of all trades and the master of none. Countless thousands of head of game from deer to antelope to elk to African planes game have been mastered by the .30-06. What criteria are you using to determine that they could have been shot deader with some other caliber?

There are other versatile calibers out there. Some invented long ago, some are fairly recent. The .30-06 will probably be among the most versatile for as long as gun powder remains in use.

Grouse
Old 11-30-2009, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Best selling cartridge in the USA !

What is your real question ?

BTW - I don't own one..................but ?!?!
Old 11-30-2009, 03:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default the old '06

Well a cartridge that has been around over 100 years and still #1 or #2 in cartridge sales every year its obvious everyone doesn't hate it. The '06, while not the most efficient cartridge case can handle any game animal on this continent including the big bears. No, it wouldn't be my first choice but will definately do the job if the shooter does his. Yeah, there are faster, hotter, more powerful chamberings out there, but the old '06 just keeps plugging along and killing its share of game every year. Besides, it almost seems unAmerican not to own a 30-06 and a 30-30...

Last edited by bronko22000; 11-30-2009 at 03:33 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-30-2009, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

i see no difference in some calibers out there. if someone shoots a big buck, does it make it any smaller or bigger if its shot with a 06? well thats not really a good point but almost all bullets were in some way effected by the 30-06. the 300 win mag was made to fit a 30-06 action. the 308 was based off it so any short action magnum was indirectly effected by a 06 offsping. the same can be said for most other medium/short action magnums and stanard calibers. and the few extra ounces of a long action isnt going to make or break a hunt.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:28 PM
Typical Buck

The 06 has a lot going for it. It is the largest non magnum case and the cost of ammo is the same as cartridges that are less powerful like 243, 308, etc.

Its effective range is further than most huters can accurately shoot in the field. Its recoil is tolerable for 90% of the shooters.

Its popularity means many components are built around the 06s performance level. Take a look at the avaliable Powders, bullets, and quality brass that are loosely based around the 06s cartridge.

Premium bullets are really not needed at 06 velocities and the range of bullet weights are from 125 to 220 is as good as it gets in factory ammo.

The readily available variety of factory ammo is probably better than any big game cartridge.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I was 15 years old I bought a Remington 700 BDL in 30-06. That rifle has served me well for the last 33 years. I think that it's funny when people say that they've graduated from their 30-06 to some super magnum, I just graduated this year from mine to a Marlin 336SS in 30-30.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.