Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
300 WM does it all >

300 WM does it all

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

300 WM does it all

Old 11-28-2009, 01:44 AM
Fork Horn

Everyone has had valid and interesting input. No doubt that a properly loaded 338 is stout and carries that energy well. I almost bought one but decided on the 300 at the last minute. What I was comparing energy-wise was a factory 338 load to a max load 300 pushing a 200 gr bullet. The gist of my original post was the fact that factory loads for the 300 range from 2400-3900 lb/ft and bullet weights come in a range of about 100 grains. That creates options that beat/compete with everything from 270 to 338. I simply don't know how excited I would be about varmints with a 338 or a moose with a 270. The moderate recoil (especially with a limbsaver pad and 9 lb total gun weight) and flat shooting make the 300WM effective in many situations. It appears we all have our favorite and have many reasons why it is such.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:50 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Pale White Cracker
Buying a kid a 300Winny,is the dumbest thing I've heard in a spell.

A 22" 7-08,will smoke everything bantied thus far.
Well, if you get off your high 7mm-08 horse and pay attention you would have read that the idea is to have the kids shoot managed recoil loads now and have the option to step up to full loads as they get bigger and want to pursue larger game. My 15 year old is 6'3" 195 lbs so I believe my younger sons will grow into it as well.

Remington's managed recoil load in 300WM recoils the same or less than your blessed 7mm-08 so what exactly is so dumb? The 7mm-08 is a fine round but not the answer to every discussion on this site.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Pale White Cracker
As an aside,I've yet to catch an application here,in which the 7-08 wouldn't shine brightly...should you feel compelled to go TOTALLY outta your element,regarding bullets,ballistics and Beasts slain.

I suggest you tread lightly there,as it will get ugly fast for you.
Looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of his cave today. Seeing you haven't actually contributed a thing to this thread I am not sure why I am wasting my time on you. You don't know me or my knowledge base yet you say I have less than stellar ideas and a bout of stupidity. FYI, I have over thirty years of hunting experience (mature whitetails adorn many of the walls in my home) and can run numbers (i.e. ballistics) in circles around you. That I guarantee.

I can only imagine the monster I could have awakened had I actually volleyed insults back at you. Please find a suitable site for your ignorance as it is wasted on us here.