Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
accuracy question for deer hunting >

accuracy question for deer hunting

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

accuracy question for deer hunting

Old 11-24-2009, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default accuracy question for deer hunting

I have a savage 110 with a pentax scope. I sighted this gun in at 100 yards using a lead sled. I can't see to get this gun to shoot any better than this target.

My question is, could this be the ammo i am using? its a 7mm-08 using standard Winchester 140 XP2 bullets. Could ammo make this big of a difference or should i be looking at something else.

the gun has been cleaned etc.... any ideas?

I believe this is probably accurate enough to hunt with but my other rifles are right on.
Attached Thumbnails accuracy question for deer hunting-target.jpg  

Last edited by semi; 11-24-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's probably accurate enough for 150 yards, but it wouldn't be accurate enough for me. Did you try any different ammo. My Savage 111 30-06 LOVES Winchester 150 grain Power Points. Sub-MOA all day. What you might try is to loosen the action screws front and rear, then stand the rifle on the buttstock to make sure the recoil lug is firmly back against the stock. Then tighten the front screw finger snug, then the rear screw snug. Then give the front screw another 1/2 turn or so, and the back screw 1/4 turn. This is what I did when I had a strange accuracy problem with mine. Turns out that I didn't seat the action into the stock after removing the stock to adjust the Accutrigger.

Mike
Old 11-24-2009, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

Thank you, i hate to ask but where are the action screws? i don't usually screw around with my guns. sorry, this may be a dumb question but i want to do this correctly.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

semi, First, do you rest the barrel or the stock on the Lead Sled? Supporting the barrel instead of the stock on the rest can cause this problem. If not, I would try another manufacturers ammo first before going any further. Quite often, a firearm may not like a specific load. Stay with the same grain bullet and see if this tightens up your group.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:17 PM
Typical Buck

no, i have the walnut on the sled and the barrel is free from the rest. using a standard vice for sighting.

i am hoping its ammo. i just wasn't sure if ammo could make this BIG of a group.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

What do you mean vice? If you are using a led sled then why do you also have a vice?
Old 11-24-2009, 05:31 PM
Typical Buck

sorry, didn't mean vice, meant where the stock sits. Bad choice of words.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:06 PM
Banned

Are you moving the scope turrets after each shot?
Old 11-24-2009, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check the bases and rings to make sure their tight. Could be that the gun don't like the load but you should be getting much tighter group from a Savage. I'd also check the action screws.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:44 AM
Typical Buck

yes adjustments are being made after each shot based on the previous shot. Gun keeps wanting to go to the right.

The rings and bases are the cheap ones i got with the savage package. I did replace the scope however. I checked those and they are tight thou.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.