Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
accuracy question for deer hunting >

accuracy question for deer hunting

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

accuracy question for deer hunting

Old 11-25-2009, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot 3 shot groups. Allow the barrel to cool between shots. If you don't get a group that makes sense with 3 shots, it's pointless to adjust the scope. It may be ammo, but it's impossible to tell because you've made adjustments based on limited info.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, take at least 2 - 3 shots after each adjustment. The scope may need to recoil to stabilize after the adjustment.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:10 AM
Spike

First, you've been given some excellent advice above. Make sure the gun is properly assembled and that the scope and rings are tight.

Next, remember there is no such thing as an "accurate" gun, accuracy is a product of consistency. A rifle that places rounds in a consistent place can simply be adjusted to be accurate (in others words, to hit where the sights indicate it should hit).

If the rifle is inconsistent, in other words it disperses shots widely, then you have a different problem and different possible solutions.

OK, the first thing I would try is to buy 2 different types of ammo.

Then, fire a 5 shot group with each of the 2 new brands. DO NOT adjust the scope between rounds, just fire 5 shots with Brand X and 5 shots with Brand Y. Don't cheap out and fire just 3 shots, this can give you inconclusive results. Fire slowly and let the barrel cool a little between rounds. Take your time.

What you're looking for is the ammo brand that places the rounds in the tightest group. At this point it doesn't matter if they're 5 inches right or whatever, as long as they're all in an acceptably tight group and all about 5 inches right.

What usually happens is that you'll see that one brand is noticeably more consistent than the other. In other words, one brand will have all shots inside of about a tennis ball where the other will be shooting about a softball size group.

Stick with the most consistent brand and NOW you can start making scope adjustments. Move your scope and then fire 3 rounds. Make fine adjustments. If you think you need to move 5 inches left, for example, start by only moving 3 inches. Confirm your adjustments are producing the intended result, don't "chase" by making large adjustments all at once.

BTW, this may seem obvious but I just have to say it: Make sure you're adjusting your scope in the correct direction. Let's say your 5 shot group is 5 inches to the right of the center. Then you want to adjust your scope to the left. Sorry, I just had to mention this on the off chance you might be confused because I've seen this happen.

Good luck.

Grouse

Last edited by The Famous Grouse; 11-25-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:55 AM
Typical Buck

i thank you for all the advice. This is kind of how i sighted the gun in. I had assistance from the range master. You will see on the graphic that we did do 3 shot groups and they were all over the place. This was with one type of ammo thou. I know i said i adjusted after every shot, i meant every 3 shot group. If you look at the graphic you will see triangles. Each triangle was one group, then an adjustment was made.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:09 AM
Spike

Yes, I would definitely try different ammo then. As I said, buy 2 different brands of ammo and fire an initial 5 shot group at separate targets.

In general, I would expect most modern rifles to do far better than the groups you're shooting now. If you were shooting handloads, I'd have all kinds of ideas as to what is causing this scattering, but with factory ammo your best bet is to change brands.

Grouse
Old 11-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

Unhappy Whoa!

something aint workin right there!!!

try some different ammo, work up some hand loads. I've been shooting Savage Rifles for over 40 years and never seen that!
Old 11-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by thndrchiken
I agree, take at least 2 - 3 shots after each adjustment. The scope may need to recoil to stabilize after the adjustment.

I absolutely agree with this and with what UncleNorby wrote. For all you know you might have mashed the trigger when you shot your second shot... and having dialed in rifles professionally (I know its retarded.... but for $50 plus ammo sales.... you'd do it too...) for several years.... you can pull shots on a lead sled.

Honestly, if it were me.... I'd get you a good set of sandbags and get away from the sled. I have seen more than one rifle damaged by them (one of them was mine... and it was a 7mm-08 too.... cracked the stock on my Encore). And while I didn't used to believe it... the gun needs the give of your shoulder in order to shoot correctly... and no matter how you slice it... unless you are carrying a lead sled with you hunting (have fun with that!) then you need to shoot it off your shoulder anyway.

I'd look at two other makes of ammo on very opposite ends of the spectrum. I'm honestly kinda suprised it didn't like the 140 PPs.... most guns will at least shoot them decently.... check out Fed Premium 140 Nosler Ballistic Tips.... I hate fed shotgun shells... but their rifle ammo is awesome. Also, give a try to some of the Hornady Light Mag 139s.... Innerloks or SSTs... your choice.

Good luck.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Need to start over.

Re-mount your scope, and laser-sight it all over again.

BTW - Yes, different ammo will shoot better or worse, sometimes a lot (4"-9").

Last edited by Sheridan; 11-26-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

To answer your original question...Yes, ammo can make that much difference, even if everything else mentioned is good...
I have a .243 with a custom target barrel that just hates Hornady 100grs, Winchester Supreme 95grs and Federal Fusion 95grs...I'm talking 3-4 inch groups from a gun that will group other ammo into a dime at 100 yards...

Keep working at it and it will all come together for you...
Old 11-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have never seen a Savage shoot that bad. The first thing I would do, being that you seem inexperienced, is to take the rifle to the local gun shop and have him re-install the scope. Even if it means buying a new set of rings.
Then, before you leave, buy 2 boxes of different ammo (at least). Get rid of that Lead Sled and get some good old sand bags.
When you shoot, be as consistant as you can: location of rifle's forearm on the sand bags, cheek pressure on the stock, grip, etc. Try to keep everything the same.
If you still aren't getting tighter groups, don't have too big an ego to ask someone else with a bit more experience if they would shoot it for you.
Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.