Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
slugs for a smooth bore... >

slugs for a smooth bore...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

slugs for a smooth bore...

Old 11-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

awesome! good luck with him!!

thats my strategy...even though i'll be pushing for the sitters, im still hunting for myself and trying to fill my own tag...im not going to be moving hard or fast or loud unless im trying to cut one off someone else jumped...

i have a feeling its gunna a few select people sitting on their butts all day and a few select people doing the pushes all day...and i have a feeling im gunna be one of the ones doing the pushes all day...i dont really mind...chances are probably just as high no matter what...but i can up my odds if im a little sneakier and moving slower...when one doubles back or holds tight and i sneak up on it, i'll be blazin...

went to Dick's sporting goods...usually they have a large selection of slugs...but only thing they had was Remington Sluggers...everything else was sabots...going to try the other Dick's tomorrow they usually have more ammo..if they dont have what i want i'll run to Gander..its a little trip, but the more i think about it, the more i think the slug gun with open sights will be the way to go in the thick nasty stuff...
Old 11-19-2009, 02:51 AM
Fork Horn

he rhododendron i'll be hunting in is literally like a jungle gym...well over your head..your honestly climbing through it, under it, over it, plus tree tops, hemlock stands, mountain laurel upto my waist or chest...shots will be close and quick...and i can just see the scope on my rifle getting knocked wayyyy off and me missing a bear due to it...
Another PA hunter. I was in that same stuff last weekend and the weekend before looking for grouse. Where are you hunting the bear? North Mountain?
I've been playing with an old Savage 430 O/U that has been cut down to 19" - between the shorter receiver of the double gun and the short barrels, it is a very handy gun for that thick brush - the Rhodies, the huckleberries and the barberry.
Slugs - that Savage likes the Brenneke K.O. a lot. The bottom barrel shoots right to POA at 50 yards; the top barrel shoots about six inches higher (at least I do) - a poor man's double rifle.
Pete

Last edited by Pete D.; 11-19-2009 at 02:53 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

pete, we'll be in Jefferson/Clarion counties...

ive done some deer pushes through the Rhody and all the mess up there...you know what the Rhody can be like...no other way to describe it to someone that doesnt know other than a jungle gym...

i bought some KOs to try...hopefully they shoot POA...we'll find out probably tomorrow when i hit the range to check the mauser 1 last time...
Old 11-19-2009, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

I"ll stick another vote in for Brenneke's. I shot them out of my 20ga smoothbore for years, and my father still does, and they shot great. Hit hard and leave a big hole, plenty of ass for me. GOod luck bear season!
Old 11-19-2009, 09:19 AM
Spike

Tru-balls are the best ones I have found. They are very accuate and dirt cheap compared to other slugs
Old 11-20-2009, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys....heading to the farm to shoot here real shortly...all i could find was the rem sluggers and the KO's....weird that noone sales rifled slugs around here...hardly anyone owns a slug gun unless they hunt outta state so the guys that shoot slugs are more prone to shooting rifled slugs than sabots....

wish i coulda found some truballs....but im shooting with just a bead...im not going to notice minor differences i dont think...i just need to find one that flies where my bead is aimed...hopefully the KOs do! im not a big fan of rem ammo...but if they fly straight and the KOs dont, i'll carry them.....

im not going to drive clear to gander mnt or cabelas for slugs...then id either have to buy enough to shoot and hunt with or make another trip to buy more if they shot straight....not worth it to me...ive shot a couple different rifled slugs through other cylinder bore shotguns....my expiriences say they aughta shoot where the bead is pointed, and a 1oz hunk of lead at 1600fps is going to shoot right with any other 1oz hunk of lead at 1600fps...my 590 doesnt have a rib so i cant even throw on a set of rifle sights....id like a ghost ring setup on it though one day...

i'll let you guys know what happens...
Old 11-20-2009, 12:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

well, the 590 is stayin home.....

shot the sluggers and the KOs...both grouped well...the KOs grouped VERY well..holes pretty much touching at 30-40yds with just a bead!

but everything was high left...

i'll hafta put a sight system on it next year...or on the 870 and buy a cylinder choke for it....or put a scope on my rifled m500 barrel....or buy a revolver like i want though a scoped revolver doesnt have its place in the thick stuff either i dont think unless it was a red dot...

we'll see....the mauser will hafta do this bear season....but, the mauser shot VERY well...its gunna be bad news bears....