Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Going to put a bore sight on my X-mas list...but what one? help >

Going to put a bore sight on my X-mas list...but what one? help

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Going to put a bore sight on my X-mas list...but what one? help

Old 11-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default Going to put a bore sight on my X-mas list...but what one? help

I know nothing about bore sights so like always when I know nothing about something I come here for help.

I dont want something cheap that doesnt work but at the same time I am not going to ask for a $300 one...if they even go that high?

So what are my options?

Thank you everyone.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't waste your money on one
Old 11-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Z
Ditto. I've had a couple scopes put on and them used and a couple I've put on shot at 25 yards then 50 then 100. The shooting usually works a lot better for me as they often aren't all that close at all with the bore sighter.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO the laser bullet lookin ones are the best, cause at night ya can get a good look at 50 yards or so..and the ones that go on the scope are a lil iffy to me
Old 11-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

My neighbor has one, I think it's a leupold. the darndest thing I've ever seen. It's got a magnet that sticks to the end of your barrel, not in it. Then it has a lense with a recticle in it that you tune your scopes crosshairs to it. It looks like it would never work but it really does well. At 100 yards it is usually about 3 inches right. I'll see if I can get more info. I was always one to just look down the bore and get it close but if I mount a scope anymore I just take it over to him and in about 2 minutes it's done.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=178613

Last edited by Camosteel; 11-17-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Z
+2, unless you have a lot of semi-autos that don't allow you to look down the barrel from the breech end (like the BAR or Rem 7400/750 series rifles). If you can remove the bolt and look down the barrel, then the best tool you can use is your own eye. Set the rifle in a steady rest (like a bipod with a rear bag, rifle vise, etc...) and then, looking down the bore, center the bore on an object that it 50-100 yards away as best as you can. Then look through the scope and see where the object you centered the bore on is in the scope. Adjust the crosshairs so that they are also centered on the object. Repeat the process until the crosshairs and bore align with each other. Now go to the range and place an 8.5x11" target at 25 yards and carefully fire one shot. If you did the procedure correctly, you will be on the target and pretty close to the center of the bull (I'm usually less than 1" from center, usually low). Adjust the scope to move the strike of the bullet as close to dead center as possible and fire again. If the bullet hits less than 1" of dead center, move the target to 100 yards and proceed with sight-in there. If not, adjust the scope and fire again. No need to fire groups at 25 yards. Just carefully shoot once and adjust. If the scope is decent (ie it holds zero and tracks properly) and mounted properly, I've never needed more than 3 shots at 25 yards to get on on the bull.

If you follow my procedure carefully, the cost is 15 minutes of your time and 1-3 rounds of ammo to get closer than any boresighter will.

Mike
Old 11-18-2009, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

Hmmmm...gotta love mixed reviews...but most lean to a waste of money. Thanks for the reviews and ideas.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

Personally I use a $39 laser bore sighter and find it a very valuable tool. No bore sighter is perfect but this one will get me on a 18" sheet of paper at 100yds 99% of the time. From there I will set the rifle in a fixed position and aim it at the aiming point and then without moving the rifle adjust the reticle to the 1 st bullet hole. You can get a gun sighted in 2 shots this way.

For me it has saved alot of time and money in ammo. Not only to be used with the common bolt action, laser bore sighters work well with scoped revolvers and pistols, adjusting laser sights, pumps, autos, lever actions, even iron sights. Shooting heavy hitters it saves on recoil fatigue. That's my $.02
Old 11-18-2009, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

They have there place, pumps, levers, semi's, ML's. I have a older bushnell coller style and my buddy has a laser one..both do the trick. One must realize bore sighting is only to get you on the paper or close, you still need to shoot/fine tune. On a bolt I prefer to just drop the bolt, center bore on a dot at 25 yards and without moving adjust the crosshair to match. A gun vise or similar is very helpful for boresighting,etc and maybe something else to add to your list.