Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Synthetic stocks - I just can't do it! >

Synthetic stocks - I just can't do it!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Synthetic stocks - I just can't do it!

Old 11-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Typical Buck

I have mostly syn stocks on my rifles but not because i don't like wood. I have 2 wood stocked rifles as well. I did it because of price. I don't have any issue with syn stocks in fact i prefer them with the weather we get here in Wisc during our deer season. I also see a rifle as a tool. If it's accurate and fits you, then i could care less what stock it has. Black stocks look tactical, wood stocks look traditional. That's how i see it.

for my next gun i wanted a laminate stock but just found a nice 7mm-08 with a syn stock and stainless barrel that may end up in my cabinet. Now i am comfused.

A few guys that hunt in our group have wood stocks on guns over 30 yrs old. They are all chipped and beat up. I know i said they are tools of the trade, but it just screams "I don't take care of my stuff".
Old 11-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up Nice pics, and...

I don't have all the "harvest" pics that RP has. What I do have is a Brown Precision stock with a Husqvarna barreled action. The whole gun with a Leupold 2x7 and loaded mag with sling weighs 7# even. It holds nice at that weight because it is muzzle heavy. Aims well. Another factor is reliability. Sighted in last night for PA rifle season. First 3 shots about 1.5" high, centered, in a nice sub 1" group. It seems to do that every year. Some wood stocks will do some of the above, few if any will do all of the above. BTW, I painted mine to look like wood and finished it with Tru-Oil. Doesn't look too bad.