Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Synthetic stocks - I just can't do it! >

Synthetic stocks - I just can't do it!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Synthetic stocks - I just can't do it!

Old 11-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

The solution to you problem lies with laminate wood stocks. They're a bit heavier than wood, but when properly clear-coated, just as stable as synthetic, and as durable as either. Oh, and they look pretty nice, IMO, too.

Mike
Old 11-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wood stocks are fine, my Ruger M-77 is almost 30 years old, no problems...If you ever do have a problem all you have to do is free float, pillar bed and seal the barrel channel...

I'd go with the 700 CDL...
Old 11-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I am late to this post, but better late than never I suppose.

Grouse I completely agree with you and I don't feel that I am living in the past.

Synthetic stocks have many advantages and I don't look down on anyone who chooses to purchase one. But for my money, guns should be blue and wood stocked - they just look better.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

I hate the synthetic stocks on most rifles, but I can put up with an ugly stock if it is a high quality one. I don't like laminates too much either.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rifles are just tools to me. I really don't care how they look. I pick my rifles and the parts I put on them according to how they will perform for me. Now, I try to take care of them, and in turn, they usually look nice. But I don't take care of them so they'll look nice. I take care of them so they'll perform.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:06 AM
Banned

Synthetic stocked rifles are easier to build than wood, that's what the shelves are full of them. Problem is a lot of the wood stocked rifles you find today have a pretty pathetic finish. The new Model 70's are a bit lacking in that department. Just get what you like. If you ding it up, so be it.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like wood also. I only have one gun with a synthetic stock and it's an 870 turkey gun. As far as worrying about the wood swelling, I remove the stock and coat everything thats hidden with Formsby's tung oil finish. I don't think that some manufacturers worry about what can't be seen, and any unfinished wood will soak up water. You don't have to make it pretty, just protect it.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

you dont apprieciate a sythetic stock until youve spent any real time hunting waterfowl. I also think a walnut/ gloss buled gun w/ dings and scratches on it is uglier that a black plactic workhorse anyday, my guns go in the safe when Im not using them so I dont really care how pretty they are anyway, if I want to hold somthing pretty Ill take my gibson SG out of the case.(hope my wife doesnt read that last part)
Old 11-18-2009, 05:58 AM
Fork Horn

I actually like synthetic stocks more than wood just for the durability. In my opinion you just can't beat the look of a beautiful wood stock.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

To each his own in this department. My Model 700 SPS Stainless has a pretty ugly stock but I'm ok with it for the most part, but the gun its self topped with a Leupold VXIII is deadly accuracte and serves its purpose as a tool.

There is something to be said about a beautiful wood stock though...Some guns I have seen I would have issues with them being furniture let alone taking them out in the rain and snow to bump em off trees..

I think there are guns you hunt with and guns you look at....thats just me...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.