Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
.223 Christmas gift - Need opinions >

.223 Christmas gift - Need opinions

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.223 Christmas gift - Need opinions

Old 11-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Spike

Default .223 Christmas gift - Need opinions

Which would you rather have. Gun will be used for some Coyote Hunting and occasional plinking.

1. Savage .223 laminate stock, blue barrel with accutrigger. Topped with a Cabelas Pine Ridge 3-9x40 scope.

Or

2. Stevens Model 200 (.223) with Camo synthetic stock, blue barrel (no accutrigger). Topped with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 scope.

I would like to know what you guys think about this. It seems like the Savage .223 with accutrigger would be a no brainer, but does the advantage of camo for coyote hunting and a better scope (Nikon Prostaff) outweigh the savage laminate stock with accutrigger?

Please help. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Spike

I forgot to mention. Both gun/scope combos that I mentioned cost the same money. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

Tough call. I know the Savages shoot very well. I don't know much about the Stevens. The camo part wouldn't bother me too much and I believe the scopes are pretty equal. If it were me I would see about the Savage without the scope and try to find a good deal on a used higher end scope.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

I would rather have the Savage, no need for the camo in my opinion, but I would find a little better scope.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

How much do these rifles and scopes cost?
Old 11-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Spike

i have limited knowkedge on these firearms, but i know savage make a solid gun with good out of the box accuracy. the scope is no big deal thats plenty scope for the gun on either model. the accutrigger is a bonus but not nessacry on a 22. i would go with the savage out of those 2
Old 11-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Stevens is the same gun - the Accutrigger. From what I've heard the Accutrigger takes a little getting used to. Either way I'd recommend better glass. You didn't mention if this was a standard barrel contour or heavy barrel. Either way I suggest at least a 4x12 seeing as how the yotes are in the mix. If this is going to be a walking varminter, then I'd say the Stevens and replace the trigger with a Timney or Rifle Basix. The Laminate stock can get heavy after humping up and down the hills for a while.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a saiga sporter .223 with a leupold 3x9 put many varmints down even at 200 Yrds, Cost of the rifle $325 Brand new.
This rifle can easily be converted into a tactical rifle for around $100 bucks and you can buy mags up to 40 rounds, very well made rifle.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, the stevens is based off of the savage. Just a 'plain' version one might say. Camo doesn't really serve a purpose other than viewing pleasure for the most part. I have good experiences with the Pine Ridge scopes, but if I had the chance for the same cost, I'd probably go with the stevens to get the prostaff.