Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Dryfiring???? >

Dryfiring????

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Dryfiring????

Old 11-10-2009, 06:10 AM
Spike

Default Dryfiring????

I heard dryfiring is bad for your rimfire, but i also heard it wont hurt your centerfire....what about your shotgun? Can somone clarify this for me. Thanks
Old 11-10-2009, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on the gun. Popular line of thought is that it does not harm a Ruger 10/22 but will peen the end of the chamber area on some others. When in doubt don't do it.
I do it on my CF and occasionally on my shotguns...never had a problem. If you plan on doing it all the time then buy a snap cap for each.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Snap caps are recommended on all breaking shotguns (O/U & SXS).

Not a concern on centerfire rifles, but not sure about rimfires.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Typical Buck

You can always make your own cheap snapcaps for use in your shotgun. Just punch out the primer from a spent shell and cut a pencil eraser to size and shape and stick it in the primer hole - trim off the opened end of the shell so it doesn't foul in your chamber and VOILA - you have a snapcap. Repeat as necessary if you want more of them.

This will work on any centerfire firearm btw.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

On my bolt guns, I hold the trigger down while slowly letting the bolt handle down. This will relax the tension on the spring without having to dry fire.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, but some people dry fire on purpose as a training technique.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

There was a dry Firing thread a while back ...I'm posting the link so you can go over it. It contained some useful information on the topic

http://huntingnet.com/forum/guns/305631-dry-firing.html
Old 11-13-2009, 12:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dry fire just to **** off gun store employees.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depending on the firing pin assembly design, dry firing centerfire guns (rifles or shotguns) MAY damage the mechanism. It's rare in modern firearms, but it's possible. Dry firing over snap caps is always an option. Cheap snap caps can be made by pressing the primer out of a spent case and replacing it with a rubber eraser.

Rimfires, on the other hand, should NEVER be dry fired. Dry firing rimfire firearms can cause damage to the chamber mouth (peening of the rim) OR, more severe of the two, it can cause damage to the firing pin, either peening or dulling of the pin tip, or even cracking or breaking the pin tip (or more rarely, the shaft). At any rate, don't dry fire rimfires.