HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Taking guns through Canada (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/309255-taking-guns-through-canada.html)

Sharp Shooter 11-06-2009 08:04 PM

Taking guns through Canada

I might be making a trip to AK by driving. I will probably take my 44mag. Can someone post a link to the process of taking guns across the border and rules and all that fun stuff?

Thanks

homers brother 11-07-2009 04:00 AM

It's been awhile since I made the trip, but even in 1991:

NO HANDGUNS, whatsoever

NO SEMIAUTOS

There may be additional categories added by our friends up north since then.

I had my handgun and semiautos shipped from an FFL here to an FFL up there. It was kind of expensive, if I recall.

If you're driving, you should consider picking up "Alaska Mileposts" at your local book peddler. Seems that's where I picked up the rules for transporting firearms, as well as mile-by-mile lists of gas stations, hotels, repair shops, scenic areas, etc.

x-mountie 11-07-2009 04:30 AM

HB, what type of semi-autos are you talking about ? If handguns, no hand guns allowed. If it's shoulder arms ( long guns ) your ok with that.

Your best bet is to call Canada Customs and get the regs straight from the horses mouth, so to speak.

homers brother 11-07-2009 12:14 PM

I called Customs prior to coming back home three years later and was told not only "no handguns" (again), but also my AR and 10-22 (the latter which made the original trip up) would also need to bypass Canada. Further, I was to load all ammunition where it could be readily inspected. Handgun ammunition would not be allowed entry.

The guys at the border were a bit more friendly. Asked me if I had any handguns ("no"), whether I had any ammunition ("yes, here is an inventory list if you'd like to review it first"), and then simply and politely asked me to have a pleasant stay in Canada and I was on my way. Never opened the back of the pickup, but it certainly wasn't worth the risk.

I met my 9mm, .44 Redhawk, AR, and 10-22 a couple weeks later.

Did I just talk to an anti-gun zealot at Customs?

rbduck 11-07-2009 12:23 PM

Try these....

www.cfc.ccaf.gc.ca
or
1-800-731-4000

Ron:D

Champlain Islander 11-07-2009 04:43 PM

Do yourself a favor and register the guns on the US side B-4 you cross. There is a form to fill out and take that with you to eliminate any questions of buying something up in Canada.

Sharp Shooter 11-07-2009 07:18 PM

So i wont be able to take my 44mag or 22 pistol since they are both handguns? Sounds like a pain. Why not?

Pygmy 11-08-2009 02:17 PM

Because the Canadian government does not allow non Canadians to possess handguns OR to travel through Canada with handguns..

It's thier country and they make the rules..

If you want to take handguns to Alaska, you'll either have to fly OVER Canada, or ship your handguns up and pick them up when you get there..

Sharp Shooter 11-08-2009 06:09 PM

Guess so. Since I will be driving I will just ship them up there. Will UPS or USPS let me ship guns? I was thinking about taking both them apart and sending the parts mixed up in 2 different boxes so they are just parts. Would that be fine?